Wednesday, February 3, 2016

WDW - Einkorn Wheat Pancakes & Muffins

Untitled

I've made the switch recently from spelt flour to Einkorn wheat.   Einkorn is one of the earliest cultivated forms of wheat, which is beneficial since today's modern wheat has been hybridized to the moon and is problematic in many ways.  

Einkorn is higher in protein and is more nutritious overall.  Some studies have even shown that people who must refrain from gluten can more easily digest this wheat, since it has a lower gluten toxicity.  If you're interested more about the benefits of Einkorn, I recommend this article.

I made some banana muffins with it recently, and my daughter noticed how great they tasted with the Einkorn.  She then in turn purchased some (they have it ground at Whole Foods; I buy mine in berry form from Azure Standard and grind in my vitamix).   She made some pancakes with a recipe she found, and quickly sent me that recipe saying I must try it.  I just happened to be thinking about what to make for breakfast so I immediately gave them a try.  The pancakes were absolutely delicious!

Here are the two recipes!


Einkorn Banana Nut Muffins

1 1/2 cups Einkorn flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt, regular or Greek
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil

1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts (or use chocolate chips for all the nuts, or a portion)
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place paper baking cups in 12 regular size (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups. Spray paper baking cups lightly with cooking spray.

Place flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir to combine; set aside.


Place egg, sugar, yogurt, oil, banana and vanilla in a medium bowl. Mix well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in nuts and oats. Divide batter among muffin cups.


Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Makes 12 muffins



Einkorn Pancakes

makes about 8 medium 

1 large egg
1 cup milk (I used almond; Emma said plain water worked fine)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp. honey 
1 cup Einkorn flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt    

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately.
Pour wet into dry and whisk gently just until mixed.
Let batter sit 2 minutes before cooking on buttered griddle.   





post signature

3 comments:

Carol B. said...

GASP!!!
and
CHEER!!!
You grind your own wheat! :-)

They sound delicious. I'll add to my Azure order to give it a try. I bet soaking would help even further with the digestion of this grain.

XO from WA

the e-wife, Karen said...

Oh Carol, you know I've been grinding my own grain for several years, since I got my Vitamix! But I still don't have any Birkenstocks! :-) xo

Carol B. said...

What? No Birkenstocks! You have not embraced full hippidom then.
Let's just say, you are a hip hippy instead. :-)