Friday, January 29, 2016

A tale of three bowls

Untitled


Bowl #1.  Acai bowl from The Harvest Bar in Sherman Oaks.  They call themselves a "superfood cafe" and this was a welcome lunch after a long and annoying government agency appointment in Van Nuys.  This wonderful bowl had 21 grams of protein and included: acai, peanut butter, hemp protein, hemp milk, dates, banana, goji berries, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, almonds, cacao nibs, bee pollen, and fresh raspberries!  It was like a healthy ice cream sundae with the most delightful flavors and textures! The next day I was sure to stock my house up with all the needed ingredients to make this and it's been on repeat for breakfast or lunch ever since.  I add spirulina powder so my bowl is green, not purple! Yum!



Untitled


Bowl #2 satisfied a strange craving.  I wanted to eat something that LOOKED just like this.  I don't know what got in my subconscious mind to form this craving - maybe I saw something on Pinterest?
Nonetheless, this SUPER easy and DELICOUS dinner hit the spot.  Basically it's just a bowl with cooked quinoa on the bottom, topped with sauteed kale + chard, and oven roasted butternut squash.  It is topped with a tahini dressing simply made by throwing a few tablespoons of tahini, a couple of garlic cloves, the juice of one lemon, a pinch of salt, and a little water into a mini chopper.  The secret is roasting the squash on high temperature so it gets all yummy and caramelized.   Oftentimes I end up with big bunches of greens from my farm box and this will be my new favorite way to use them.



Untitled


Ok, so maybe this one isn't EXACTLY a bowl...but more like a platter... but just LOOK at this gorgeous food from Tel Aviv Grill in Tarzana!  This is authenic Israeli food.  Chicken Schwarma, incredible hummous, one of the best falafels I have ever had, and fluffy house-made pita bread.   Not to mention all the lovely condiments. It completely took me back to our trip to Israel a few years ago, and all the amazing food we had there.  
 {P.S. Don't expect to go for dinner on a Friday night or anytime Saturday -- they are Jewish and close to observe Shabbat around 3:30 pm and the Sabbath on Saturday.}






1 comment:

Carol B. said...

You always find the amazing food spots!