Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tomatomania!!

I dream of huge vegetable gardens at home... well, maybe someday.  For now, I am grateful to have a small patch of dirt that I can grow tomatoes in.  There is nothing like a home grown tomato and they are so good for you.  When they are in season, I eat them with every meal!  I've been growing them for about 15 years or so, and over time I've learned how to have good success.


I get my tomato plants each year from an organization called Tomatomania.  Each spring, they tour around to different nurseries and gardens and set up their 150+ varieties of tomato seedlings for sale.  The staff is super helpful in helping you choose what to grow.  Their plants are very high quality and of the most interesting varieties.  Often they offer a formal lecture on tomato growing.  This year, on a recent beautiful Saturday morning, Rich and I went to Otto & Sons nursery in Fillmore and sat in on their lecture - it was highly informative.  We came home with 11 plants - I was so excited!  Last weekend Rich planted them for me.  It's a lot of effort amending the soil, adding a special fertilizer and worm casings, and building the tomato supports. But the amazing tomatoes are always the reward!  Our plants are in and I cannot wait until summer to eat them!  Here are some photos from our beautiful day in Fillmore.  Afterwards, we went out to Ojai to spend the rest of our day with our longtime dear friends, the Wilsons.  We ate lunch at our favorite spot Papa Lennon's, picked up some Ojai Pixie tangerines, and of course visited Ojai Olive oil to get some of their wonderful garlic oil and peach balsamic vinegar.  Ojai is a great place to spend the day or a weekend.  It's extremely charming and beautiful.

001
003
012
014
015

We bumped into Bill Fickett and the Kaya family as well - I think Rich and Bill are talking children's ministry not tomatoes!


post signature

1 comment:

Pur et Simple said...

I LOVE tomatoes too. I eat them with just a sprinkling of salt. YUM. I also love to eat them with chopped avocado and a light vinaigrette.

Did you know that Bill Fickett is the one who lead me to the Lord?

Hugs from WA.