Sunday, April 15, 2012

It's almost soap time... and candles too!

I'm getting ready for another soap sale! And, this time it's a candle sale, too!

Goods will go on sale
Friday, May 4th at 6:00 am (California time). The last few times I've had a soap sale, I've sold out early in the day. It's been exciting... but I hate turning people away. :-( So this time, I made double the soap of what I usually make. Plus, I am introducing a new shea butter soap that I'm really excited about. And that's not all! I also made some mason jar candles, as I get occasional requests from people to buy them. I've been making candles for about 13 years, but have never sold them formally through my blog.

Why so many things for sale? Because I want to raise lots of money!! With this sale, 100% of the money is going to my daughter Emma's fund for her missions trip to Thailand! She is leaving around May 15th and will be gone for
6 weeks! The trip is through the Master's College in a partnership with ZOE International. Here is a summary of what ZOE is all about from their website:

ZOE International Ministries is a Christian organization with the mission to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ and to make disciples of the un-reached people of the world and to demonstrate God's compassion through rescuing and caring for orphans and children from human trafficking. -Mark 16:15-18, Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8, James 1:27The facts about human trafficking are staggering and heartbreaking. Please take a moment to read some of the information on ZOE's website.

How did this come about? Emma began volunteering with ZOE at the beginning of the school year, as it was a requirement for one of her classes to have an internship with a list of gospel-oriented humanitarian organizations that Master's selected. She chose ZOE and was immediately touched by the plight of children who are trafficked all around the world, and particularly in Thailand. When the opportunity for a missions trip arose, she told us that she wanted to go. For those of you who know my daughter, you know that she is very home and family oriented, so this wasn't exactly in her comfort zone. I am very proud of her for bravely putting her actions to her convictions, and her dad and I are supporting her 100% on this. She will be acting as an intern for ZOE, using her gift of photography along with the 10 other students, who will be working on various projects that range from sewing to marketing to journalism, all to help ZOE's cause.

Emma stated upfront with us that she was willing to cover the expense of this trip from her own resources. I immediately thought of making soap and candles to sell and help offset some of her cost. She was very appreciative of the idea, so I set off to whip up multiple batches for the cause!

Here are the soap offerings this time - a little sneak peek for you of what is curing right now and will be for sale on May 4th (no advance orders, sorry). There is even a nod to Thailand in one of the soap varieties. :-)
Consider stocking up...remember, soap only gets better with age (and my next sale won't be until right before Christmas).There are 15 different soaps to choose from this time - goat milk soap, all vegetable oil soap, and my newest -shea butter soap!

If you're new to my soap, allow let me tell you a little about them (if not, feel free to scroll down and see the soap).

First of all, they are
100% natural. That is why you will find most of the scents to be citrusy, herbal, spicy, or earthy, as I exclusively use all natural essential oils to fragrance the soap. If the soap has a color or a texture, you can be assured that I used only what God has made to accomplish that. :-)

In all the soaps, I use a combination of quality pure base oils (olive, coconut, and palm) to promote moisture and good lathering. The three types I make are:

All-vegetable oil soap This soap contains olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil, and has distilled water as its liquid. This is the hardest bar, making it long lasting.
Good for all skin types.


Goat milk soap All-vegetable oil soap recipe, substituting goat milk for the distilled water. Goat milk adds alpha-hydroxy acids, vitamins, and minerals to the soap, as well as increasing the moisture (goat milk soaps are a bit softer as a result).
Good for all skin types, particularly good for dry or sensitive ones.


Shea butter soap All-vegetable oil soap recipe, with the addition of 100% pure unrefined shea butter, which makes this soap ultra emollient and luxurious.
This is a very premium soap, super-fatted 5% with the addition of the shea butter. Shea butter can also aid in the relief of acne, eczema and other skin problems as it moisturizes without clogging pores.
Good for all skin types, particularly good for dry or sensitive ones.


I make my soap by the cold process method in small batches, I cut it by hand, and I cure it for at l
east 4 weeks to ensure hardness. These are big bars - at least 4 1/2 ounces each (Ivory soap bars are about 3 ounces). You should know that homemade soap is softer than commercial soap, so be sure to let your bar drain and air dry after each use (don't let it sit in a sudsy puddle). You will find that my soap is gentle and you can definitely feel good about using it on your skin. When you get away from putting detergents and chemicals on your skin, and use an all natural approach, you will feel the difference!

I can do in-person delivery if you are local... and I'm happy to ship if you aren't. More details on that on the May 4th post. Okay, on with the goods. Happy shopping...

Goat Milk Soaps
$3.00 each

030


Pure and clean, scented simply with lemon and lavender essential oil. A good choice for sensitive skin or babies.

citrus

Contains ground organic oats for light exfoliation, plus three different citrus essential oils. A great shower bar.

002

Made with brewed Chai tea, this yummy almost-good-enough-to-eat bar is enhanced with cinnamon, clove, and anise essential oils. Ground cloves, cinnamon sticks and Chai tea leaves add light exfoliation. A great shower bar.

035

This two-toned bar is made with French green and rose clays, which make it a superb facial soap. Clays are known to draw impurities out of skin. It is scented with a combination of tart pink grapefruit and sweet basil essential oils.

011

Lavender Oatmeal soap is always a favorite, and this time I've spiced it up with the addition of a spot of anise essential oil. Ground organic oats make this a great shower bar.

023

One of my favorite cooking herbs has found its way into my soap. This one is chock full of herbes de Provence (a French herb blend containing primarily lavender, savory, basil, thyme, and fennel) and is enhanced by rosemary and lavender essential oils.

002

One of my personal favorites, I keep this by the kitchen sink to remove the odor of garlic and onion from my hands. This soap contains Arabica coffee grounds which scrub hands and neutralize odors. Scented with anise essential oil.


All Vegetable Oil Soaps
$3.00 each

010

This bright and sunny soap contains a refreshing blend of three citrus essential oils, plus a splash of sweet peppermint to wake you up!006

Another favorite is soap made with Calendula petals (a variety of the Marigold flower). Calendula is superb for the complexion, but this makes a great shower bar, too. Contains sweet lemongrass essential oil.

001

Seaweed is rich in minerals and vitamins, and exfoliates the skin without drying - not many soaps can make that claim. Tea Tree Oil is also naturally anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral, helping troubled skin. Scented lightly with rosemary essential oil.

032

Yes, a chocolate soap (but please don't eat it)! This soap gets its deep brown color from a good dose of unsweetened dark cocoa powder. Spiced with anise, sweet orange, and cinnamon essential oils. A rich and sweet experience. A great shower bar.

004

Clean and herbal blend of peppermint and rosemary essential oils, plus garden rosemary and peppermint leaves added in for light exfoliation.


021

Lastly, in honor of Emma's trip to Thailand, is this soap - scented richly with earthy lemongrass and sweet basil. Dried lemongrass adds light exfoliation. A great shower bar.

Shea Butter Soaps
$3.50 each

002
Rich shea butter, with sweet orange and clove essential oils.

027

Rich shea butter, with lavender and peppermint essential oils.




Can't decide? Try a sample pack! I will surprise you with 8 different soaps in half-bar sizes to try.

016


14 oz. Mason Jar Candles
$12.00 each


024


My candles are made with 100% soy wax. They contain lead-free wicks, burning slow and clean. 
Each jar burns 80+ hours! They make great gifts for girlfriends' birthdays and are the perfect hostess gift. Of course, treat yourself to some, too. I can ship candles, too. I am offering four different scents - all uncolored.

Vanilla Nut Spice
Nectarine Basil
Blackberry Sage
Pomegranate Pear


Hope to see you all at the sale!

Questions? Contact me at harasick@ca.rr.com.


post signature

3 comments:

Pur et Simple said...

OOOOOhhhh - I already know what I am ordering!! :-)

Nancy said...

Ooo...excited....as I just pulled out the last bar that I purchased in December! Yippee!!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Wow, why do you do this to me? So many yummy scents to choose from. They all love divine. Can't make up my mind.
I am so encouraged by your sacrificial love you show for others. You are such a Godly woman to look up to. Always so sweet and helpful. And talented may I say.

I am definitely going to be buying some yummy soaps. I can't wait to try them.

Angie Morales