Wednesday, February 15, 2012

WDW - Chard with bacon and apples

3072_chard_bacon_apple

Often I get chard in my weekly farm box. The first time I got it, I had NO idea what to do with it, but knowing that dark leafy greens are super healthy, I wanted to learn how to prepare them in a tasty way. Since then, I've learned to saute them with a little garlic and olive oil or add them to veggie soups. But, I really wanted a good, go to recipe to use with chard. I went onto Whole Foods website (my favorite place to get new recipes) and searched for a recipe. When I saw this one, I knew I just had to try it. The ingredients just sounded so delicious. I still had some of that yummy, smoky bacon we brought back from Tennessee, and I always have fresh organic apples and onions on hand. Be sure to use a nice smoky bacon - we like applewood smoked, and I always buy nitrate free bacon (Trader Joe's has a good one).

Well, I made it tonight and it couldn't be easier! And it was so delicious that we ate the whole pan, just Rich and me. I didn't even use the seasoning it called for, as the bacon I used was already cured with salt and pepper. I served it with boiled red potatoes (also from the farm box) and some sauteed chicken tenderloins, which I seasoned simply with lemon pepper. I have to admit, the chicken and potatoes actually took a back seat to this wonderful dish. Winner dinner! I can't wait to make this again.

Chard with bacon and apples

Ingredients

3 slices bacon, diced
1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 organic Gala apple, cored and diced
1 bunch (about 3/4 pound) organic chard, well rinsed
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Method

Place a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain all but about 2 tsp. bacon fat. Add onion to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in apple and cook a few minutes.

Meanwhile, cut off the stems of the chard and discard. Chop the leaves. Stir chard into the skillet along with the onion and apple, and add back the bacon, salt and pepper (if necessary). Pour in 2 tablespoons water; cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until chard is tender, about 6-8 more minutes.

Nutrition:

Per serving: 70 calories (25 from fat), 2.5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5g cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 11g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 3g protein

NOTE: This was SO good, I made a half batch for my lunch the next day using purple kale that I had on hand. DELISH!!

post signature

No comments: