Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pickled Beets

photo

I LOVE beets. Most people say they don't like them - but it makes me wonder if they have ever really eaten a FRESH beet or they are thinking of those julienned rubbery things in a can. I wouldn't eat those in a million years.

When I was a little girl I developed a taste for fresh beets because my grandpa grew them in his garden. He would often pickle them, and to this day my dad and I love beets, especially this way. And, if you don't know how healthy beets are, click here. They provide antioxidants and detoxification, and much more. I actually love to juice raw beets (they are healthiest raw) with carrots, but then again, I'm a vegetable freak.

Don't be afraid of beets!
This couldn't be easier. Simply twist or snip off the greens, wash thoroughly, wrap in foil, and bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Or, you could steam them for about 15 minutes. Once cooled, peel and slice them. You can eat them just like that - oh how I love beets, orange sections, and goat cheese on my dinner salad - or you can go a step further and kick them up a notch by pickling.

Any color beets will work for this recipe, but don't mix them - the colors bleed. This week I chose some lovely organic golden beets at Whole Foods.

This recipe makes a couple of pickle jars full. Like my exactness? These are a bit spicy because I like 'em that way, but if you don't, simply omit the fresh jalapeno.

The hardest thing about this recipe is WAITING for them to be done. They really need at least two weeks in the fridge, three is better.

Refrigerator Pickled Beets

Ingredients:

6 large beets, roasted, peeled, and sliced thick

1 large onion, sliced

1 large jalapeno, sliced (seeds included)

6-8 garlic cloves

Peppercorns

Brine:

2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 cups water

1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
2 cups granulated sugar

To make brine:

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add apple cider vinegar, water, sugar & salt. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar melts. Reduce heat and let the pickling brine simmer approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let brine cool.

Layer beets, onions, jalapenos, garlic, and peppercorns into a large jar (or use two smaller jars). Pour cooled brine over the beets and gently stir. Place, covered, in the refrigerator. Best flavor after two weeks.


post signature

2 comments:

Pur et Simple said...

You should try roasting them with potatoes (cube them, place them in a ziploc with cubed potatoes, add some salt and olive oil. Seal the bag and shake to coat. Put on a cookie sheet and roast at 425 for 45-ish minutes. Soooo good!
Miss you, my kindred beet lover friend.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Karen,

I make a pickled beets salad for a typical Guatemalan dish I learned from my mother in law. You use it to top on what they call "Enchiladas", but it's just a fried tortilla, sauté tomato sauce, lettuce and sauté chicken. You top them with the pickled beets and some queso fresco and hard boiled egg. Sounds complicated but it is such an easy dish and delicious. My family always asks me to make it for them.
You just boil some beets and carrots on separate pants. You cut them into matchstick size, and add a couple bay leaves, sliced purple onions, vinegar and salt to taste. You can eat it right away.
Next time I make some, I'll take some for you to Church if that is okay with you.

Angie Morales

ps. my email is Lakrgirl2003@yahoo.com