Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jones Coffee Roasters

I'm no coffee snob, but I like a good cup of coffee. Recently, when shopping at Whole Foods in Pasadena, I noticed they featured beans from local coffee roaster Jones Coffee. I admired the packaging, but didn't buy any. Then, a few days later, Rich and I ate breakfast at Triple D North End Caffe in Manhattan Beach, and wouldn't you know, they were brewing up Jones coffee there. I seriously think it was the best cup of coffee I've ever had at a restaurant. I drank three full cups (it was decaf, but I don't exactly recommend that amount of coffee before a two mile walk on the strand!).

Anyways, so... after that I was driving down Raymond in Pasadena on a different day, and guess what I passed? You guessed it, Jones Coffee Roasters. Not that I'm into omens or anything, but I knew I needed to go there, check it out and get some coffee beans. With Shepherds' Conference coming up, I thought it would be the perfect time to try a few varieties. I like to treat my house guests to things they don't get at home.

So, finally today, I stopped in. It happened to be lunchtime, so I added a beautiful pain au chocolat to my decaf coffee order. Ahh, white flour, butter and chocolate, what a treat. The coffee was simply divine. I didn't watch carefully, but I think the Barista made it like an Americano because it had crema on top. One sip, and I felt all happy inside.

Anyways, backing up, this is the kind of place that when you drive up, it just looks interesting and inviting. Well, I should say, I did have to drive around the block a few times first because they only have a small amount of parking and it was full. I wasn't about to give up, and finally I got a spot and went in. It's really kind of like a warehouse, a large light and airy space, with the entire front open. It looks cool with a vintage neon sign and an interesting decor and layout of furniture. In the back, they are roasting beans and the smell is intoxicating. Gotta love that.


photo (16)

View from parking lot

photo (11)

Entrance

photo (12)

Looking out into the parking lot.

photo (14)

The roasting area in the rear.

photo (13)

This big, cool neon sign just makes the place.

photo (15)

When I asked, "where's the cream?" I was directed to a close-by glass door refrigerator full of choices. Help yourself, put it back. Love that.

I really loved the way this place feels- it's got a nice vibe. Not a hip
Intelligentsia kind of vibe (if you know what I mean), but a hip, genuinely friendly, kind of vibe. I was helped by a nice and helpful gal who guided me in my selection of three types of bold coffee beans (they have some unique blends as well), and also helped me pick out some apricot loose leaf tea for my tea-loving son. I then got myself a cup of decaf and the aforementioned warmed pastry (which happened to be from one of my favorite bakeries in Pasadena, Euro Pane) and left. I had an appointment, otherwise I would have stayed and enjoyed the atmosphere for awhile. It seems like a great place to hang out or meet a friend.

photo (10)

My three new coffees to try.




post signature

3 comments:

Laurie said...

It is right next to my Dr's office. I always smell coffee when I'm parking, but never tried it! I'm convinced...next time I'm in Pas. Looks so fun.

Pur et Simple said...

How I would LOVE to meet you there!

Miller Family said...

I think I would love to be a houseguest for a few days!! HA!