Wednesday, May 5, 2010

WDW - Brazilian Salmon Stew

008

Before I impress you with such a title, let me just say this is one of the easiest ways I've ever prepared salmon. Our friends, the Hoyers, invited us for dinner recently, and Nancy prepared this dish, which my husband declared was "one of the best things" he'd ever eaten. I think I agree! We actually all fell in love with it, and I knew my family would expect this dish to be on our table very soon. I promptly put pressure on Nancy to share the recipe, and she kindly obliged. Thank you, Nancy - this will surely be a family favorite.

We eat salmon once a week around here, and I usually prepare it quite simply. I use a dry rub with herbs and a little salt and pepper to season. I spray a heavy pan liberally with Pam, and drizzle a little olive oil in. I heat the pan to medium high (closer to high), and sear the salmon on both sides covered for 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness. I love this method. The fish gets beautifully browned and crispy on the outside and stays moist on the inside. I usually serve the fish with brown rice and steamed veggies. Oh, and of course, homemade tartar sauce. It's one of our favorite meals. Emma has proclaimed that she could eat this every night (I think it may have something to do with the tartar sauce).

But, this stew is so flavorful, I know I'll be deviating from the usual every so often to make it this way. Full of ingredients we love, such as coconut milk, lime, cilantro, red bell pepper, tomato, and onion, this dish is a cinch to make. Early in the day, you make a paste of garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and lime juice and massage it into the fish, and refrigerate the rest of the day. About an hour before serving, you simply layer the ingredients in a heavy skillet and cook over the stove for about 45 minutes. We served it like Nancy did, over brown rice, and topped with fresh cilantro. We squeezed a little more lime juice on top, as well. Truly, this salmon stew is so amazingly delicious, try it soon!

Salmon Fish Stew, Brazilian Style Recipe

Marinade:

the cloves from 1/2 head of garlic, peeled, crushed, minced
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika (I used smoked)
2 1/2 teaspoons dry cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper


1 1/2 to 2 pounds salmon (preferably wild), cut into 2-inch pieces (large bite-sized pieces)

Olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced about 1/4" thick
1 large bell pepper, seeded, de-stemmed, and sliced about 1/4" thick
2 medium tomatoes, sliced about 1/2" thick
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 14-ounce can thick coconut milk (not "light")
1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, 1-2 cups
Freshly cooked rice for serving

Mix together the marinade ingredients. Let the salmon marinate in this paste for at least 2 hours. The longer, the better.


In a large pan (large covered skillet or Dutch oven), coat the bottom of the pan with non-stick spray and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add a layer of sliced onions, and then a layer of sliced bell peppers, and a layer of sliced tomatoes. Place the fish pieces, with the marinade, on top of everything, and start layering again - onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Add about half of the fresh cilantro to the top. Pour coconut milk over the top. Drizzle generously with olive oil over the top (several tablespoons).

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30-45 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through and salmon is tender.

Serve with rice; garnish with remaining cilantro.
Serves 4-6.


post signature

1 comment:

Nancy said...

My pleasure :-) BTW, nice job with the photo - it looks way better than mine did!