Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WDW - Lemon Pound Cake

loaves

My Drew loves Starbucks lemon pound cake. And if you've tasted it, you probably love it, too. It's moist, lemony, and just melts in your mouth. Not too rich - and perfect with a strong cup of Four-bucks Starbucks.

I have a lemon cake recipe from Ina Garten, which is pretty good, but I knew that I needed to go for a pound cake recipe for this one. So, I turned to my The Best Recipe Cookbook (I couldn't live without it!) and found a good basic recipe for pound cake, then tweaked it a bit by adding lemon rind and lemon extract. Then, of course, who could resist adding that yummy thick and lemony-tart white frosting to the top. That's pretty much the main reason to eat the cake to begin with, right?

So, I think I did OK. It certainly was delicious. I would know, as I ate a piece for dinner (can you tell Rich wasn't home?). I guess the true test will be when Drew tastes it tomorrow. Hopefully he'll give me two thumbs up!

You can make this in your 9 x 5 loaf pan, but I made mine in mini loaf pans - the perfect size for giving to Drew to munch on in his dorm. And, that way there are always a few extra loaves that he can pass onto his Waldock buddies. I score big time with them when I send goodies!

cut piece of cake

Lemon Pound cake

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 egg yolks, room temp
3 eggs, room temp
1 ½ tsp. lemon extract
1 ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
Zest of three lemons
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups cake flour

In electric mixer, beat softened butter and sugar for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg yolks, eggs, lemon extract, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Beat well.

Remove mixer bowl and slowly fold in the cake flour, a little at a time.

Pour batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 70-80 minutes (for 9 x 5) or 40-50 minutes (for mini loaves). Cool 15 minutes, turn loaves out to cool. When almost cool, frost with glaze.

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Beat together in mixer until smooth and creamy.

post signature

3 comments:

Briana said...

mmmhhhmmmm oh and I love your presentation... the glaze dripping off the edges makes it beautiful and simple. :)

Blessings Flow Down said...

You did it! I'm so glad this was posted before I went to the market...hee, hee. ;D

CJ Brannon said...

Thats so funny, I just posted one of my favorite chicken recipes from Ina :) I am going to have to try this one, Chad loves lemon goodies!