Wednesday, August 12, 2009

WDW - Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

002

OK, so I'm on a little ricotta cheese kick these days... I guess I'm still reeling over last week's ricotta biscuits. Then, I was reading a breakfast menu outside of Cafe Stella last week (when I was at Intelligentsia), and saw Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. Something just clicked in my brain, as it often does, and I just had to make them. Like ASAP. Like sooner than ASAP. It's like I can't rest if I don't. Sometimes this causes me to run out to the store, just to get a certain ingredient that I need. Or, even worse, I will actually go to the local liquor store to try and find something. That, my friends, is the ultimate desperation usually reserved for when I have poured my coffee and find there is no half and half left (no, I will not substitute milk, thank you). I know, it's a bit compulsive. It is probably a disorder, for all I know.

So, I used to have a ricotta pancake recipe, but I don't know what I did with it. Then I remembered Bobby Flay had a Throwdown show featuring pancakes...and his were Lemon Ricotta! Thank you Bobby! A little visit to
http://www.foodtv.com/ and I possessed his little gem of a recipe.

What is great about these pancakes is, while they are light and fluffy, they have a nice lowfat source of protein (and calcium!) so they aren't just a blog of carbs on-a-plate. These pancakes can really hold you. Normally, when I eat pancakes (white flour ones), I'm hungry about a half hour later. I just love the lemon flavor in these, and the texture is so nice.

I served these up with fresh blueberries and strawberries. The recipe actually called for warmed lemon curd and raspberries atop, neither of which I was fortunate to have on hand (unfortunately, the local liquor store doesn't carry those). Doesn't that sound amazing though? But, never fear, just plain butter and real maple syrup will make these perfectly divine.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

1 ½ cups flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups milk
2 cups ricotta cheese (1 15 oz. container)
1 large lemon, zested and juiced

In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and sugar. Set aside.

In a large measuring pitcher, combine eggs, milk, ricotta cheese, lemon zest and juice. Mix until well combined. Add dry mixture to wet and whisk just until combined.

Cook on hot griddle until golden on both sides.

Top with warm lemon curd, fresh raspberries, and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

Makes 16-18 4" pancakes

post signature

No comments: