Wednesday, June 10, 2009

WDW - Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

015

I have no idea who Grandma Ople is, but I want to bow at the woman's feet. She's probably dead for all I know...but I still have nothing but mad love for her.

You may remember a few weeks ago, when I posted my four berry pie, that I was lamenting about my failures with apple pie . I complained of runny pies with rubbery apples. Well, I decided the time was NOW that I landed myself a killer apple pie recipe. So I went to allrecipes.com and saw a recipe, called Grandma Ople's Apple Pie, with over 2000 rave reviews. I knew I had to try it. And immediately. But, at the time, I was plumb out of Crisco (I hate it when that happens) and my apples on the tree weren't quite ripe. So, after obtaining the LARGE can of Crisco (oh yeah, baby) and 8 lovely organic apples from the store, I was armed and ready. I was a little puzzled by the method and the lack of cinnamon in the recipe (what?) but I decided to try the recipe as is.

The method is very interesting. Instead of a full crust for the top, you use a lattice, and you pour a special cooked butter-sugar mixture over and in through the lattice crevices. It was easy enough. I even had fun making my very first lattice. I watched this video and was right on my way. It turned out pretty close to perfect.

Let me tell you, the time that the pie was in the oven cooking was sheer torture. It didn't help that it was dinnertime, and since my entire family had different dinner plans, I planned on having a BIG piece of this pie for my dinner. As soon as it came out, I couldn't wait to dive in. Rich and Emma were hovering over it with me, and when I cut a nice big piece, they dove in along with me. "That works," was Rich's simple reply, and I was literally jumping for joy! I mean, what a moment. This was the pie I had been waiting all my life for! It really was absolutely perfect. However, I did discover that the pie will be a bit runny if you cut in right away. I should have waited to cut it, but just had no self-control at all was pressed for time. The juices did set up nicely as it cooled. Serving the pie at almost room temperature is actually best.

And as for the cinnamon, forgetaboutit. As much as I adore that spice, I think the clean and sweet apple taste that this pie has is absolutely perfect.

Thank you, Grandma Ople!

022

Remember, I shared the piece that is missing here with Rich and Emma. And I didn't have dinner, OK? (a calorie is a calorie!)

Grandma Ople’s Apple Pie

1 double pie crust
½ cup unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
¼ cup water
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
8 apples – 4 Granny Smith, 4 Red Delicious, peeled, cored, and sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and form a paste. Add water, and both sugars. Bring to a boil, then reduce temperature and let simmer.

Place the bottom crust of your pie in a deep dish pie plate. Fill with apples. Cover with a lattice crust. Place pie on a foil-lined jelly roll pan. Gently pour the butter liquid over the crust, pouring slowly so it does not run off.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees, and continue baking for 50 more minutes.

Cool for 1 hour before serving.

post signature

No comments: