Wednesday, May 20, 2009

WDW - Four Berry Pie

048

We had a family celebration last Friday for Drew's graduation, inviting my dad and the DeShongs. When I asked Drew what he wanted for dinner, he said Cobb salad and a pie. That boy is easy to please, I tell you! I also made some yummy barbecue tri tip sandwiches to round out the meal a bit. We sat on the back patio, eating and watching the kids swim. The weather was so delightful - it was a very pleasant evening!

Like my son, pie is my hands-down favorite dessert. And I really can make a mean crust...but, believe it or not, I have only ONE prized pie recipe! It is for my Vanilla Peach Pie (to die for). And get this: I have never, ever, in my whole 43 years of life, made a good apple pie. Not that I haven't tried valliantly - so many different recipes. The apples are always rubbery, it's runny...help someone! I'd love to get my hands on a foolproof double-crust apple pie recipe. And hurry...I have about three thousand apples on my tree right now!

So, all that said, I decided I needed to have a good berry pie in my pathetic little repertoire. I didn't want a goopy, bland, thick pie, but one where the fruit was just lightly sweetened and fresh tasting. I found this recipe online for Mixed Berry Pie, and tweaked it a bit. Fresh berries are so expensive, so I just substituted frozen, from Trader Joe's. It turned out AMAZING. But, I will also say, half of its amazing-ness is the homemade crust. Don't be afraid...just remember not to handle the dough too much. When adding the ice water, add slowly and just enough to make the dough stick together but NOT be sticky. If you need to cheat and use store bought crust, the pie will still be really good!

Four Berry Pie

2-pie crust (recipe below)
2 1 lb. bags (Trader Joe’s) frozen 4-berry mix, thawed (or 4 ½ cups fresh mixed berries – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
½ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. butter
1 beaten egg
Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)

Drain berries. Cut strawberries into smaller pieces so they are uniform with the other berries. In a large mixing bowl, combine berries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and vanilla. Let stand 30 minutes.

Line a pie pan with one crust. Fill crust with berries. Dot with butter.
Cover with second crust. Crimp edges. Brush with 1 beaten egg (a trick my grandma taught me) and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired. Cut 3-4 air vents.

Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Place pie on pan. Bake, at 375 degrees, covered with foil for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 30-40 min. more, until browned. Let pie stand 2 hours before serving.

Two-pie crust

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups cold shortening (I use Crisco in the blue can)
Ice water


Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender. Slowly add ice water, mixing with a fork or hands, until dough holds together in a ball. Divide dough into two balls, one slightly larger than the other. The larger one will be the top crust.

053

I had to take this photo quick, as everyone was waiting for pie!


post signature

5 comments:

Dodson Family said...

that looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

i used to know you years ago when you were my sunday school teacher.
try this apple pie recipe. i made it twice and it came out great each time. there are lots of tips to making it better and adding cinnamon is one of them. hope you love it as much as i did!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandma-Oples-Apple-Pie/Detail.aspx

christiana

the e-wife, Karen said...

Hi Christiana,

Thank you for the link - would you believe I printed that SAME recipe out last night! I am going to make it next week if I have time. Thanks for your recommendation, it looks like a winner!

Karen

Suzi said...

Ok, thinking you could do a post on how you got kicked off Facebook? lol, what's that? That's a perfect not me monday thing! lol

the e-wife, Karen said...

Hi Suzi,

Yeah, that would be a good one. Maybe under my "whatever" category! I am waiting to hear back from them as to what got me suspended!! Ha! They have been unresponsive so who knows if or when I'll be back on.

K