Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WDW - Chicken Marsala

005

I could take a bath in exist on Chicken Marsala. It is just one of my favorites. I think it's because I enjoy mushrooms so much. And wine sauces.

Bit of trivia on me: Did you know I gave up drinking alcohol before I was of legal age to even drink it? You can let that mean whatever you think it means.

But, I do put wine in my cooking, and even beer sometimes. No one ever cards me when I buy it, which is kind of sad. Maybe because they realize I'm cooking with it. Who would drink a $2 bottle of wine?

Anyways, I always order the Chicken Marsala at my favorite restaurant, and it is served butterflied and boneless with the skin ON (the way it should be). I think they give you 1/4 of a chicken - it is huge. It seems they roast the chicken in some unique way, as it is crispy on the outside, and juicy on the inside. I can barely handle washing bodies of raw chicken, much less attempting to de-bone and butterfly them. So, I never even dreamed of attempting this. And duplicating their amazing sauce seemed as elusive as having straight hair for me.

However, I have found a shortcut way of making Chicken Marsala, that is perfectly acceptable, thanks to my friend Patti -not the same Patti from last week's lasagna. I guess people named Patti (spelled with an "i") really know their way around food! You should get some friends named Patti.

For this rendition, Patti uses boneless, skinless breast tenderloins, pounded thin. The sauce is a snap, and I was surprised at how easy the dish came together. It is totally do-able on a weeknight.

I like to serve this dish with some kind of starchy side dish to help mop up all the yummy sauce. Some of my faves are: mashed potatoes, acini de pepe pasta, orzo pasta, or polenta. Patti served this with some righteous scalloped potatoes. They worked beautifully, but obviously a bit more time-consuming than the other options. But, then again, her name is Patti, and mine is not.

Patti's Chicken Marsala
Serves 4

1 ½ lbs. boneless chicken breast tenderloin
½ cup flour
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, divided
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup Marsala wine
Chopped fresh parsley

Pound chicken until very thin between two sheets of waxed paper.

Combine flour, parmesan cheese, and salt in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in mixture.

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbsp. of the butter. Brown half the chicken on both sides. Transfer chicken to serving platter and cover to keep warm. Repeat with 2 Tbsp. more butter and remaining chicken. Transfer chicken to serving platter and re-cover.

Add last 2 Tbsp. butter to empty pan. Add mushrooms, and turn heat to high. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add broth, lemon juice, and wine to the pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken, lower to simmer, and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (if sauce is not thickening enough, remove chicken and boil the sauce a few minutes more).

Transfer sauce and chicken to serving dish, and top with chopped fresh parsley
.

post signature

No comments: