Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!

I can't believe it's 2009! Doesn't it just seem like yesterday that people were gearing up for Y2K? Whoa, time goes by so quickly.

Which is good. Every year that passes brings us that much closer to our home in eternity. Every day, we are one day closer to being with the Lord. Maranatha!

We had a great time at the Dempsey's last night ringing in the new year. I couldn't think of a better way than spending the evening than with good friends. We brought in some Stonefire grill take-out, played games and hung out. Later in the evening we tried a recipe for the "Frrrozen Hot Chocolate" that we had and loved at Serendipity in New York with the Dempsey's last April. I had found a recipe for it in Bon Appetit magazine that we tried. It was SO good. I mean really good. Think of the best frappuccino you could ever have and that is a Frrrozen Hot Chocolate.

You make what amounts to a high quality chocolate syrup and then mix it in a blender with milk and ice. Here's the recipe:

SERENDIPITY FRRROZEN HOT CHOCOLATE

6 1/2 oz. milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao), and semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
3 cups crushed ice
Fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings

Place 6 1/2 ozs. of assorted chocolate in medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water; stir until melted and smooth. Add sugar and cocoa and stir to blend. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup milk, whisk until well incorporated. Cool mixture to room temperature (can be done hours in advance.)

In blender place remaining milk, chocolate mixture, and ice in blender. Puree until smooth. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Variation: Add 2 Tbsp. smooth peanut butter in blender.
This serves 3-4.

Note: We quadrupled the chocolate, and then mixed 1 cup of it in with each batch we made. I used one pint of whipping cream, which I whipped stiff in the Kitchenaid with a few tablespoons of sugar. It was more than enough for all of us.

I'm sure this is just the recipe you wanted to start off the New Year. Sorry.


Maybe save it for Valentine's Day.

If you're like me, you're ready to shed a few of those holiday pounds. Well, I can't just blame the holidays. A few pounds have been slowly creeping on for a few months now and I've just been ignoring them and rotating the next size up jeans to the front of the closet. Kari and I were talking about how we need to go back to no white sugar and no white flour. Seriously, if I cut those two things out, I will lose weight.

But first, I must finish the large bag of Western Bagels I just stashed in the freezer. And what's a bagel without lox shmear? And a gingerbread latte to go alongside. C'mon!

But seriously. At last Sunday evening's service, Nathan Busenitz reminded us that we need to make our New Year's resolutions more than just "losing weight and getting organized." Our resolutions should revolve around the Lord, and how we can serve and obey Him better. I am making a simple resolution: to read my bible every day. As a busy mom, this doesn't always happen, but I am purposing to spend time every day in God's Word in 2009 (and hopefully beyond). I look forward with confidence to the way the Lord is going to bless that time. I find it ironic that I have the time to shower, brush my teeth, eat, and even exercise every day, so I know it is just a matter of making that a priority.

So, with a heart full of thankfulness for all the ways the Lord blessed me in 2008, I commit anew to serve Him with a whole heart for 2009!

No comments: