Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Whatever - Costco at the holidays



I can think of no greater joy than visiting Costco at this time of year. If you want to get into the holiday spirit, this is the place for you.

First, there's the crowded and full parking lot where you encounter rude, obstinate drivers that have absolutely no idea who has the right of way. I actually saw two people yell at others over parking. At one point while looking for a spot, I had the right of way and 4 people blew through a stop sign to get ahead of me. It's a miracle if you can get in, get a spot, and avoid getting hit. Or yelled at.



Then, there are the sample tables. In full swing for the holidays. Don't you love how people stop in the middle of the aisle, cart fully blocking everyone's way, for a sample of food? Maybe I'm just
bah humbug, but I guess I'm just one of the rare Costco shoppers actually on a mission to get my shopping done in a timely fashion. It drives me nuts when I see the sample tables because I know it's going to slow me way down. And it is really bizarre what people will do for a free 1/8th of a taquito. My personal favorite though was the table offering a sample of the jarred 3-bean salad. Mmm, let me pick up a jar of that to serve with my prime rib for Christmas. Everyone will go crazy over it.

Finally, here's a doozy I encountered last week. I was in line waiting to check out, when the middle aged woman in front of me told me to go ahead of her because she was waiting for her friend to come. So, I proceeded to unload my groceries when suddenly I felt a tug on my sleeve. The woman said to me quite curtly (and I kid you
not) "My friend is back. I will go first now. Remove your groceries."

Seriously, that really happened.

Whatever.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

WOW. Just wow. :(

Now I'm scared to go there on Saturday. Very scared.

Nancy said...

Yes...the last time I went there was a security guard actually breaking up what was about to turn into a fist fight over a parking space. YIKES. We just opted to park in the back...about 1/2 mile away. :-)

And please don't get me started on the samples. Or the people who clog up the aisle to wait for 1/2 a truffle.

grrr....

But the lady in the checkout? You win with that one!

Jen said...

I was actually laughing out loud when I read your post! Truly a sanctifying experience. :)

ps-the candles went over great! Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep looking for you at church. Merry Christmas!