Sunday, October 12, 2008

Whatever - another appliance bites the dust

If you follow my blog, you are well aware that appliances have a vendetta against me. In the past few months, I've lamented about barely five year old refrigerators, washers and dryers keeling over. Well, just when we thought we had the whole appliance thing taken care of, we were dead wrong.

So last night, we returned about 10:00 pm from a few days in the desert. It was a lot of fun hanging out with four other families and letting the kids (and the dads, too) enjoy some fun dirt bike riding. We spent two nights sleeping in the trailer in gusty winds which made us feel like we were in an earthquake simulator all night long. So, on the trek home, I dozed off in the car. When we pulled into the driveway, I was groggy and planned to just kind of stumble into bed without waking myself up too much.

It wasn't going to happen.

As I entered the house through the laundry room, my foot hit the floor and water splashed. I was then very alarmed to see WATER everywhere! Quite a bit of water. Sometimes when we've been gone a few days, the cats have a heydey and spill some water and food on the floor, but this was way too much water for that. I then looked into the kitchen, and there was more water. Then I heard the disturbing sound of trickling water. I began screaming for Rich...and then ran down to the dining room and was relieved to find that the water had not made its way there yet. I checked the wood floors in the hallway - dry. I breathed a sigh of relief that the water was contained somewhat.

Rich immediately identified the problem as the water heater in the laundry room. Yes, sometime while we were gone, that sneaky little water heater decided to spring a leak and begin flooding the house. We came in the nick of time before it got to the carpet and wood floors. Thankfully we have tile in the laundry room and kitchen.

Rich quickly stopped the water and grabbed the shop vac - he sucked up gallon after gallon of water. He then had to move the washer, dryer, and stove to get the water that had seeped into there. Of course, now we had no hot water and had just returned from camping in the dirty desert...thankfully we all got a decent shower out in the trailer!

So, today we got the pleasure of going to Lowe's for a new water heater. It was a very unpleasant deja vu. It was kind of funny though, when the checker asked us if we wanted to buy the extended warranty for 9 years. The water heater we bought had a built in warranty of 12 years. She wasn't too amused when Rich pointed that out to her. I also probably snickered a little which didn't help.

So, the insurance has been called, and a crew is here as I write making tiny holes in places and inserting fans to dry everything out (to avoid mold). Tomorrow someone else is coming to go under the house and dry that area (some water dripped there somehow). The fans will be here for 3 days- what fun! Then the adjuster comes and decides if anything needs to be replaced. Hopefully, just the baseboards will have to be replaced, and not all the cabinetry in the laundry room. I am not in the mood for a laundry room remodel right now. I'm really not. The house is in the middle of being painted, and the porch is in its final weeks of getting finished. I'm quite done.

Well, my friends, after this, victory should be in sight. We will be left with only one more possible culprit - the stove. It came with the house and is 11 years old...I joked with my sister that it will probably catch on fire someday and burn the whole house down!! I guess that is probably really not that funny.

Whatever.

1 comment:

Myra said...

But Karen, if you didn't have all these interesting appliance stories, you would have to do some amazing creative writing to entertain us all. Hee Hee!