Wednesday, October 8, 2008

WDW - Caesar Salad



What are your cooking stand-bys? You know, the recipes that you turn to again and again because they are easy and your family enjoys them. In our house, it's Caesar Salad. Years ago, I stumbled upon this recipe from Rachael Ray. Kind of funny, because I really can't stand her cooking show, but somehow I got this little gem. And it's yum-o.

The great thing about the dressing is, none of the ingredients are exotic or expensive -there are no anchovies, and definitely no raw eggs. A bit of mayo forms the emulsion and you just whip it all up in the blender. You don't even have to use the "good" parmesan cheese, the stuff in the green can does the job. I keep Romaine Hearts on hand all the time, and the BIG bag of Cardini's croutons from Costco. They're the best! Sometimes I have a hunk of Parmigiano around, but if I don't, I am not ashamed to sprinkle on the above-mentioned form. Sometimes I pair the salad with a roasted supermarket chicken - easy dinner.

Not only do I make this recipe at home (at least once a week), but I love to serve it to crowds. Everyone loves it! I have given this recipe out countless times.

Try this soon... And I'd love to know some of your stand-bys. Leave them in the comment section for me please!

Caesar Salad

4 T. Mayonnaise
2 cloves fresh garlic
grated zest and juice of one lemon
½ c. grated parmesan cheese
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. freshly ground pepper
3 T. olive oil

In a blender, combine all ingredients. Combine until smooth.


Toss with chopped 6-8 cups romaine lettuce, croutons, and fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Serves 4-6


2 comments:

Suzanne DeShong said...

I love that dressing, and make it often....You already know all my standby's!!!! But my newest favorite item is coleslaw in a bag tossed with Dad's dressing....easy peasy!

The Mom said...

Mrs. Harasick...do you use a crockpot very often? Because I'm having such a hard time in the kitchen (morning sickness!) I'm looking to use my crockpot more often. But, because I have such a hard time with food (also morning sickness!) I'm not as ready to just try whatever I find on the internet. So, I'm kinda looking for trusted favorites.