Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WDW - Bacon Broccoli Quiche

Here's another of my go-to recipes that I got from my friend, Kari. It is so easy and so delicious. I think everyone loves quiche - even men! I know my hubby does, anyways. But, then again, he'll pretty much eat anything with bacon in it (and so will I). This dish works easily on a Saturday morning or a weeknight dinner. And it's totally easy to double the recipe for two quiches. It's also fantastic if you are having company for breakfast, such as Christmas morning. You can mix all the ingredients except the eggs together the night before, and then just throw them in at the last minute, pour into the crust, and bake.

Since this recipe is so easy and quick, I don't bother making my own pie crust for it. For this one, I just grabbed a whole wheat frozen crust (they're excellent-I love 'em) at Whole Foods. I even had some pre-cooked bacon in the freezer (a little trick of mine) so it was even a bigger snap. Instead of sauteeing the onion and bacon together, I just sauteed the onion in a little butter, then threw in the bacon the last few minutes just to let the bacon render off a little more of its yummy fat.

By the way, this is an extremely flexible recipe. You can substitute any meat for the bacon-not sure why you'd want to do that- but anyways...sausage, ham or smoked turkey chunks would be delish as well. You can also make a substitution for the broccoli using any vegetable you like. Asparagus would work very well, or some mushrooms (the mushrooms should be sauteed with the onions if you are using them - I'd use 2 heaping cups sliced mushrooms since they shrink down so much). I had a sausage-mushroom quiche at a restaurant lately and it was a divine combination indeed.

Mmm....what could be better than crust, bacon and cheese?

Bacon Broccoli Quiche

½ cup chopped brown onion
4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup grated cheese (half sharp cheddar/half mozzarella is good)
1 cup cottage cheese
½ tsp. each salt and pepper
4 eggs, beaten well
1 cup raw broccoli, chopped finely (can use frozen without thawing)
Unbaked pie crust


In a small skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon starts to crisp. Drain.
Combine bacon and onion mixture with cheeses, salt, pepper, eggs and broccoli. Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until set in center.

No comments: