Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Whatever - Store Security

Welcome to my new, reoccuring series entitled "Whatever." Rich encouraged me to share some of my experiences out in the world and call them that. It seems whenever I tell him something dumb that happened, we both look at each other and say "Whatever!" So here is the first entry: Store Security.

You know those nifty theft detection devices they put in stores? You know, the kind that beep annoyingly when you leave the store with an item that is supposedly stolen? Well, it happens to me wherever I go. I've begun to wonder if it's my dental fillings because I never rip anything off. Yesterday, Rich and I went to Best Buy. As we were leaving with our purchase, the device went off - BEEP BEEP BEEP. Here's the routine: I stop in my tracks and look around. You would think some security person should materialize and check your bag. Nope. I stand there. No one comes. Not even one checker turns their head around to look at me. So I leave. Whatever.

During Christmas time, Emma and I went to the Burbank mall. Everytime I entered or exited a store with my purchases, you guessed it, BEEP BEEP BEEP. EVERY store. No one came. Once in awhile a salesperson from across the store would wave to me as to not worry about it. Whatever.

So, I ask, what are these devices for? If the salespeople don't pay any attention when they go off, what is the point in having them? My guess is that they are more annoying than effective and salespeople have just written them off.

Speaking of high security, what about Costco? You get stopped at the door with your cart where they are supposedly checking that nothing in your cart was stolen. You hand over the receipt to a bored looking attendant. I love the 2 second obligatory glance at the cart and then the highlighter streak on your receipt. Real thorough. Sometimes I play a little game with them. If I have two receipts (which I often do as I buy supplies for Childrens' ministry at church), I put one away. I see if they are able to detect that I have no receipt for selected items. Have they ever noticed? Of course not. I walk away, chuckling to myself about their high tech methods. I know, it doesn't take much to amuse me.

Whatever.

No comments: