Wednesday, June 24, 2015

WDW - Best Ever, Super Easy Salsa


 Best-Ever-Super-Easy-Salsajpg
photo cred:  TheCafeSucreFarine

My husband LOVES salsa. I mean LOVES it.  I mean REALLY LOVES it.  Since we are avid tomato growers, naturally one would think we would make homemade salsa with our wonderful homegrown tomatoes.  I have tried, but the best I can do is make is a chopped pico de gallo.   When it comes to blended salsa, I've never been able to get the consistency right (too watery, inconsistent texture).  I have tried hand chopping, a regular blender, a Vitamix, a food processor, and even one of those hand crank "salsa makers" from the L.A. County fair.  I have often observed recipes for salsa that include canned tomatoes as an ingredient, but always thought it strange.

Recently, I came across a recipe that caught my eye, as it was titled "Best Ever, Super Easy Salsa."  Like, how can anyone know that, Napoleon Dynamite might say.  But, it looked really good, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It literally took 5 minutes to throw all the ingredients in the food processor, and 30 seconds to pulse to the perfect texture.  I quickly grabbed a tortilla chip and took a bite -- and guess what -- it IS the BEST EVER SUPER EASY SALSA!!   I'm so excited to have a good basic salsa recipe, and I know I'll be serving this many times this summer, not only to my very happy husband, but whenever guests come over.

Best Ever Super Easy Salsa  
modified from TheCafeSucreFarine


  • 2 14 ounce cans fire-roasted canned tomatoes, drained (reserve juices)
  • ½ cup roasted red pepper (jarred), packed
  • 1 4-ounce can green chiles (these are not spicy, just add great flavor)
  • ½ small red onion, roughly chopped
  • ½ cup fresh cilantro (leaves and stems), packed
  • 2 medium green (spring) onions, cut in two inch pieces (both white and green parts)
  • 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded + about half the seeds
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Instructions
  1. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice.
  2. Combine all ingredients except reserved tomato juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off until all ingredients are finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency. We like it a bit chunky, but if you like a smoother salsa, just keep pulsing. If you like a thinner salsa, add a small amount of the reserved tomato juice and pulse one more time.
  3. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.



post signature

1 comment:

Polkadotted Plum said...

Looks supes yummy Auntie K! :D