Friday, June 12, 2015

National Donut Day at Donut Friend


Did you know last Thursday was National Donut Day?  Is that not the best holiday EVER?  You might not know, due to my many posts on health and nutrition, that I have a complete and utter weakness for donuts.  Yes, it's true.  It's not under control in the least, nor do I have any plans to get it under control. :-)

Emma reminded me of the holiday many weeks in advance, and our calendars were clearly marked for the occasion.  The night before, we twisted the arm of our dear friend, Alik, and she came along with her 4 year old daughter.

We decided to visit a fun donut shop in the nearby area of Los Angeles, Highland Park (adjacent to Eagle Rock). Donut Friend is such a fun place -- you can customize your own donut, or go with one of their "signature complilations" on the menu.   They all have fun names, which I later learned are named after punk rock songs.  This place is hardcore.  The donuts are so amazingly fresh and tasty. If you have a moment, check out their website.*  But be warned, you may need a donut immediately after you do.  *I am not responsible for any actions taken on account of visiting this site.  :-)

 donut_friend

 photo-donut-friend-des-donuts-punk-a-los-angeles-53c44109167ae

 They ain't cheap, but this isn't the corner donut hut where you grab a $8 dozen and chow down several.  Think of it as going to get a gourmet ice cream cone, it's about the same price as that (and the same kind of experience)

So, we arrived around 10:00 a.m. and discovered that us and about 100 other people thought Donut Friend would be a good idea, too.  No worries, as it was TOTALLY worth it.  After about an hour, we had these babies in our possession:

Untitled

I won't describe them all, but the one in front on the bottom center of the pic is called "Jets to Basil."   It is a glazed yeast donut, cut in half, smeared with goat cheese, strawberry jam and fresh basil.  Then it is smacked back together, drizzled with vanilla bean icing and balsamic glaze.   Strange, but it totally works for me. The one on the top right is maple glazed and topped with "coconut bacon" which is vegan, all natural, flavored coconut (it almost fooled me)

Little Darsy was totally into the day.  She was even wearing her festive donut shorts. This was her "national donut day  announcement" the week before, featuring Krispy Kreme donuts. 

Untitled
Untitled

She didn't even eat any donuts...but L O O K at those thighs!

Untitled

"But Grammie... when do I get to actually EAT one of these?"

Untitled

I sure love my little donut friend.  
Let's plan to get donuts a lot together, little Darsy.



post signature

5 comments:

Polkadotted Plum said...

Yummy donuts!!! I hope you ate lots for me. ;) Darsy is so adorable. ;D

Polkadotted Plum said...

Yummy donuts!!! I hope you ate lots for me. ;) Darsy is so adorable. ;D

the e-wife, Karen said...

Oh Hannah, as good as these are, your homemade donuts are still the BEST. When are you going to come stay with Auntie K?? Miss you & love you!

Carol B. said...

I'm not sure which looks more delicious... those amazing donuts or that darling grandbaby!!!

XO from WA

Polkadotted Plum said...

Aw, Auntie K!!! YOU are the best. ;D Oh, how I wish soon! Sadly though, I I still haven't found the money tree. 0-o