Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Overnight Soaked Waffle Batter -- with Gluten Free option!

Untitled

I love waffles!  They are so easy to make, and I make mine very healthy.  That way I can eat them often!

I have two different ways I make them, either with my sourdough starter, or I use this method of overnight soaking in my blender.   If I have a lot of starter building up, I make sourdough waffles.   It's very easy, all you do is add some starter to eggs, coconut oil, a bit of maple syrup, some baking soda, and salt.   The batter is ready to go right away.  The recipe is here.

But, when I have soured raw milk or kefir in my fridge, I like to make this recipe.  The night before, you simply mix some whole grains, raw dairy, and a touch of olive oil in your blender, and let it sit overnight.  In the morning, you add in a few ingredients like eggs, leavening, flax seed & salt, blend some more, and the batter is ready.  The raw dairy goes crazy making beneficial bacteria while it sits out overnight.  (note:  do NOT make this with pasturized, homogenized dairy. It goes rancid if you leave it out.)

Since someone I know is avoiding gluten, and this person loves waffles, I decided to try a gluten free option for this recipe.  Usually I use oats and an ancient wheat grain like spelt or kamut.   To make it gluten free, I subbed in brown rice for the wheat and used GF oats.   It was delicious!  I wouldn't have even known it was gluten free.

I served these with my freshly made plum jam on top.  The jam came out a bit on the runny side, making it the perfect waffle topping.  :-)  But, butter and plain real maple syrup is delicious also.

Incidentally, when you make waffles, do yourself a favor and make LOTS and freeze for easy breakfasts later.  I simply layer them between waxed paper and put them in a Ziploc freezer bag.  Just put frozen waffles directly into your toaster - they come out great.


This recipe comes from Sue Gregg's website, but I have simplified it.  I use my Vitamix, but Sue says any blender of 450 watts or more should do the job.  I usually double the recipe.



Blender Batter Waffles
3 - 4 Servings ( 3 to 4--7" waffles )
  


1.   Place in blender; blend at highest speed 3 minutes:

1 1/4 cup raw milk (soured preferable) or raw kefir thinned with water to same consistency as milk (I use 50/50 milk + kefir, with no thinning necessary)
(Non-dairy alternatives:  coconut or almond milk)
     

1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup oats (rolled, steel cut, or whole oat groats)
1/2 cup brown rice, buckwheat, millet, spelt, or kamut 

***These are raw whole uncooked grains, not flour!  

***For those who are gluten intolerant use half GF oats and half brown rice or millet.
        
2.  Cover blender and let stand at room temperature several hours or overnight for improved    nutrition.         



3.  Preheat waffle iron at highest temperature.

4.  Just before baking, add and re-blend for 1 to 3 or more minutes until smooth:

     1 egg
     1 tablespoon flax seed
     Additional liquid (if needed to make batter thinner)

5.  Blend in thoroughly:

   1/4 teaspoon baking soda
   1/2 teaspoon salt
   1 teaspoon baking powder
          
6. Bake in waffle iron (3 to 5 minutes until crisp), lightly
   sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray as needed.

3 comments:

Pur et Simple said...

We have goat milk again! Can't wait to use this recipe for a quick and nutritious breakfast...often! :-)

Pur et Simple said...

Do you buy your non-stick olive oil spray at TJ's? Any particular brand you like?

the e-wife, Karen said...

Carol, yes I get the olive oil spray at TJ's, but I used their coconut oil spray today for these.