Thursday, July 11, 2013

Just because Thursday

Untitled

I have a sweet friend who has some dietary restrictions.  We meet mornings at each other's homes every few weeks to chat about our Lord, our lives, and of course, our FOOD.  :-)  She is a young married but already accomplished in the culinary realm, and has a real sense of what healthy food looks like.   

With her restrictions, I find special pleasure in making her something she can enjoy that includes ingredients all on her YES list.  This coming week I'm going to serve her these dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, and (can you believe it) grain-free muffins.   You ask, what else could be left? Lots of healthy things, actually! When you read the recipe you will see how wonderful the ingredients are.

I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Comfy Belly blog, called Morning Glory muffins.  You may be unfamiliar with coconut flour -- it's available at Whole Foods & Sprouts. It is super high in fiber, so it's not the kind of thing you can just start substituting for other flours (speaking from experience... ahem). Look for specific recipes formulated for the use of coconut flour.

In these I incorporated a little trick that vegans use when they need eggs.  They make "chia" eggs.  Mixing chia seeds with water and letting them sit out for about 15 minutes causes them to thicken and work like eggs in baked recipes.

These little muffins are moist and sweet and wonderful! 

UPDATE:  A friend let me know that she had success using this recipe with whole wheat flour.  She subbed 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour for the coconut flour.  Also, she removed the chia seeds and water mixture and just used 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed mixed with 4 Tbsp. water. 


Morning Glory Muffins (dairy free, grain free, egg free)
Modified from Comfy Belly Blog
  • 4 Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk or other dairy-free milk
  • 4 T. chia seeds mixed with 12 T. water, left to sit for 15 min.
  • 1 cup shredded raw carrots
  • 1 cup shredded apple (about one medium apple; peel and cored before shredding)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins (or dried cranberries)
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F
  2. Shred apples and carrots in food processor.  Remove the shreds from processor bowl and set aside. Place the dates in the food processor and pulse to chop them up and create a paste. Add back in the apples and carrots and process a bit more, to break them up a little and reduce any large shreds. 
  3. Drain excess moisture (if necessary) from the apples and carrots mixture.  In a stand mixer bowl combine coconut oil, coconut milk, chia “eggs”, carrots, apples, vanilla, and honey and blend well.
  4. Add the coconut flour, spices, salt and baking soda to mixer bowl.
  5. Mix until well combined, no more.
  6. Line muffin tins with liners (or grease) and fill each muffin liner almost to the top with muffin batter. These muffins don’t rise much.
  7. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
  8. Cool and store covered for a few days at room temperature or in the refrigerator for a week or so.



post signature

7 comments:

Pur et Simple said...

These sound amazing. They remind me of a "regular" muffin recipe that you once shared with me. :-)

If you are ever out of chia seeds -you can do the same with flax seeds to make an egg substitute. (but I like chia seeds better.)

XO from WA

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for the recipe. Perfect for me too! Praise God for a recipe with ingredients that I can eat!

myra said...

I stumbled upon your blog last night & I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. You have a beautiful family. I can't wait to try some of your recipes you have listed on the blog. I also am a pastor's wife, homeschooling Mom, and enjoy making soap (my daughter and I just started making soap several months ago). I would love to have a copy of your pdf file on candlemaking. Thanks for having such a great blog!
Blessings!

Nicci H. said...

Hi Karen I was just wondering were you get your dates from? I just realized you have a blog and have really been enjoying reading about your recipes and gardening.

Nicci H. said...

I was just wandering where you buy your dates from? I just realized you have a blog and have been enjoying all your recipe posts!!

the e-wife, Karen said...

Hi Nicci! Glad you stopped by. :-) I get my dates at either Sprouts, TJ's or Costco. You want to get the Medjool variety. Take care!

Courtney Roberts said...

AWWW! Just now finding this post! You really are the best, I get so so excited to see what you make every time! And you know I don't mind when you repeat recipes :)