Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Kefir smoothie

photo (16)

My Drew takes a smoothie to go on his way out the door every weekday morning.  He always leaves around 7:00 am for either work or school.  I usually make enough smoothie for two people, and either Emma or myself drink the rest.

I make the smoothie about the same everyday in my capable Vitamix:

-1 frozen banana, cubed
-a handful of frozen pineapple chunks or mango chunks
-a handful of frozen berries -- either the organic antioxidant blend from Costco that I LOVE, or a mix of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.
-small handful of fresh spinach
-1 Tbsp. organic flax oil
-around 1/2 cup milk:  raw milk, full fat canned coconut milk, fresh almond milk
-around 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice or a couple whole peeled oranges
-ice

Even though the raw smoothie is bursting with wonderful enzymes and vitamins, too much sugar (even natural sugar) can cause your glands to work overtime to handle the hyperglycemic response of all that fruit.  Protein slows down the response and eases the sugar into your system.   Sometimes I put a little hemp protein powder in, but I can't really put a good dose of it in without altering the flavor and texture of the smoothie.  And for Drew the smoothie needs to be more pink than green, you know?  :-)  (He doesn't know that I put flax oil in either...shhh).   I don't like to use any processed weird dairy protein powders (super yuk).  If I use raw milk there is a some protein, but why not add a probiotic along with that protein too?

Today I decided to add some raw unflavored kefir to the smoothie.  1 cup of kefir has 8 g. of protein!   The smoothie turned out fabulous!  I personally enjoy drinking the kefir plain, but in the smoothie it is absolutely delicious.  The tang  and creaminess is great.  You can either cut out the original milk in the recipe or not.  I added about 3/4 cup kefir to the above recipe, using coconut milk as well.

In case you're wondering what in the world kefir is, or even how to even pronounce it (some say KEY-furr and some say KEFF-urr, it's actually Kuh-FEAR) here is an interesting article on the benefits of it.  Say it how you wish, kefir it is basically the dairy cousin of kombucha.   Instead of a scoby, kefir "grains" are used to ferment milk.  The complex symbiosis of more than 30 microflora form a grain-like structure of proteins, lipids, and sugars.  So kefir is a fantastic probiotic.  And in its unpasturized form you also get all the wonderful benefits of raw dairy.  And yes, you can make your own kefir as you can make kombucha (uh oh... that sounds like something I'd do...watch out!).   

You can buy Organic Pastures raw kefir at Sprouts market. 



post signature

1 comment:

Pur et Simple said...

Ahhh, but for your e-wife-made keifir you'll need an excellent source of fabulous tasting raw GOAT milk! Up for a road trip sometime in August? Ha ha!!

I have grains in my freezer - just waiting on my goat.

We love that organic berry mix from Costco too. :-)