Monday, October 8, 2012

Perfect brown rice!

Untitled

FINALLY!!  Perfect brown rice - in about 45 minutes!  I cannot describe how elated I am!  This has truly changed my life!

Confession:  I have always struggled with cooking brown rice.  It's never turned out right, and most of the time I wouldn't exactly classify it as edible.  I did the standard rice cooking method - adding water and rice together in a saucepot, bringing to a boil, covering and cooking on low 45 minutes.  It was gummy. Soggy. Chewy.  Yukky.  Desperate, I became addicted to TJ's frozen brown rice.  Definitely not economical, and cooking a plastic bag in the microwave didn't sit well with me.  But what was a brown rice loving girl to do?

Recently, I even put out a plea on facebook for advice on rice cookers that did brown rice well.  I got plenty of advice - most suggested a $275 rice cooker named Zojirushi.  Somehow I couldn't justify a machine that cost that much to make 30 cents worth of rice.  Besides, I didn't need another machine in my kitchen (especially a one-trick pony).  There had to be a better way.

Anyways, so in my continued search, I came across a new method - boiling the rice.  Sounded weird, but I was desperate enough to try it.   It looked easy enough so I followed the simple directions. I think I truly jumped for joy when I tasted it!  Cooked perfect, it was light and fluffy even.  You've gotta try this!  You will feel like such a winner, I promise. 

PERFECT BROWN RICE

1.  Rinse 1 cup brown rice (I used medium grain, but any kind 
     should work) with water for 30 seconds.
2.  Bring 12 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.
3.  Add the rinsed rice to the boiling water, and boil for 30 
     minutes, uncovered.  
4.  Drain the rice for 10 seconds over a sink.
5.  Return the drained rice to the pot, quickly cover and let sit 
     10 minutes.
6.  Fluff.  Voila! Perfect brown rice. 



post signature

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I am SO excited to try this! I too buy the frozen Brown Rice (I like the 3-grain style) at TJ's because I can't make it right. I often default to white rice when I KNOW the Brown Rice won't be good.

Thanks for posting!

Laurie said...

You're right! PERFECT... Made it tonight with this crazy method.