Saturday, July 17, 2010

Got fruit?

You may have remebered about a week ago that I was up to my ears in apricots. I froze some for future jam and apricot crisps.

009

Well, today, there was more fruit to be reckoned with. Actually, a ton of fruit. Making lunch was a little challenging with no available counter space!

004

I braved the heat to pick the Satsuma plums and Elberta peaches.

002

And, the Golden Dorsett apples, too. There were even a few ripe tomatoes to be picked.


To be honest, it was a bit overwhelming! I knew I needed to utilize my freezer or a lot of fruit would be going to waste.

I sat down with my trusty apple corer/peeler/slicer and got to work on the apples. I filled bags with 2 apples each for my Apple Pancake recipe. I made the filling for 4 pie plates of Apple Streusel. I even set aside a few more bags to make my friend Kari's wonderful recipe for Apple Cake.

Moving on to the plums and peaches, I made some plum crisp filling and some peach/plum crisp filling. All I need to do now is defrost the bags, pour into a pie plate, top with my oat/brown sugar crisp topping, and bake it off. The taste of peaches and plums will be so welcome once they are out of season.

I have the best Fruit Crisp recipe! I have featured it before, but for those of you who may have missed it, I am republishing it. It uses very little sugar and you can use any stone fruit (peaches, plums, apricots or any combination) and it comes out wonderful every time. Just remember that crisps take a good 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to cool and set before serving. Don't try to serve them earlier than that or you will find yourself with fruit soup.

016

My happy freezer. Do you want to come for dessert? I know what I'll serve!
Fruit Crisp

Filling:
8 cups peach (peeled) or plum slices (skins on, OK)
2 Tbsp. flour
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all filling ingredients and pour into a 9 x 13 baking pan.

Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over fruit.

Bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Notes:
~May halve recipe and bake in a 1 ½ qt. dish.

post signature

2 comments:

Pur et Simple said...

YEP!!! :-)

Nice work! Isn't great to be picking all that bounty and thanking God, all the while, for His many blessings!

Molly said...

Beautiful fruit! And your storehouses are full for the winter! Hope to catch up with you soon. Will email. :)