Wednesday, April 21, 2010

WDW - Whole-Grain Pancakes

003

Rick Holland was speaking at Oaks Christian School's chapel yesterday morning, and we had a small crowd going along. Since I had to feed said crowd before we left, I decided to whip up some pancakes. I got a new cookbook for my birthday (more on that later), and saw a new recipe I wanted to try. I absolutely love whole-grain pancakes (not to be confused with whole-wheat pancakes, which are rather dry and heavy)but I never wanted to go gather all the many ingredients necessary to make them at home. When I saw this recipe used Muesli, which I had a leftover box of in my cupboard, I thought I'd give it a try. Below is one of the happy recipients of this recipe:

001

Looking great, Deb.

006

So, you may be wondering what Muesli is - it's basically a Swiss import - a mix of uncooked oats, grain flakes (often rye and wheat), dried fruit and nuts. I bought a box of it after trying it at a restaurant in Laguna Beach. The way the restaurant prepared it was very interesting and delicious. I found out that the Muesli was soaked overnight in plain yogurt, then served cold with fresh blueberries on top. I was anxious to try to duplicate the experience at home. I made it, took one bite, was repulsed, and threw it in the trash. Now I had a half-full box of Muesli and no idea what to do with it. Then I saw this pancake recipe. The idea of using Muesli in place of all the different grains you would need sounded ingenious. I tried it and it was absolutely delicious. Everyone gave this recipe rave reviews! I can't wait to make it again - very soon!

Multi Grain Pancakes
serves 4-6

2 cups milk
4 tsp. lemon juice
1 ¼ cups + 3 Tbsp. unsweetened Muesli (preferably Familia brand)
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 ¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
¾ tsp. vanilla

Whisk the milk and lemon juice together in a 4-cup measure. Set aside to thicken while preparing the other ingredients.

Process 1 ¼ cups of the Muesli in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl. Add remaining 3 Tbsp. unground Muesli, the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.

Whisk the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla into the milk mixture.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients in the bowl. Pour in the milk mixture and whisk gently until just combined. Do not overmix. Allow the batter to sit while the pan heats.

Pour batter in ¼ cup increments onto hot greased griddle. Cook until small bubbles appear over surface, 2-3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, 1- 2 ½ minutes longer. Serve immediately.

post signature

1 comment:

Collin and Marisa said...

This recipe sounds delicious! Muesli is very popular in Germany and many people eat it as cereal. I will have to make this for my family. Thanks for sharing.

~Marisa