Wednesday, January 20, 2010

WDW - My Mom's Beef Vegetable Soup

045

About this time each year I get a hankering for my mom's Beef Vegetable Soup. My mom didn't have many recipes written down, but this is one I managed to get from her many years ago. There is nothing better than a big pot of this hearty and healthy soup in your fridge; it's the perfect lunch on a cold day. In fact, the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it gets.

This is a very easy soup to make, even though you create your own broth. But you do need some time to make it. I like to pick a day I will be home all day, and work on it throughout the day. Today was that day for me, and a rainy one, too, which made it extra-perfect.

Here's to you, Mom- I enjoy this soup in sweet memory of you.

Wanda's Beef Vegetable Soup

1 7-bone or chuck roast
2-3 carrots
2-3 ribs celery
1 onion, quartered
3-4 beef boullion cubes (I use "Better than boullion" - near beef boullion cubes in the store)
water to cover

Bring the above ingredients to a boil in a large pot; simmer 4 hours.
Strain, reserving broth. Discard veggies. Cube meat, discarding bones.
Reserve meat.

In same pot, sauté the following until softened:

4 T. olive oil
2 c. diced celery
2 c. diced carrots
1 c. chopped onion
3 cups diced peeled potatoes

Add meat to pot, and the following:
1 can (29 oz.)crushed tomatoes
1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste

Simmer for 1 hour.

Add:
1 can (15 oz.) corn (or you can use frozen)
1 cup fresh or frozen green beans

Simmer 1 hour more. Season with salt and pepper.


post signature

No comments: