Wednesday, September 9, 2009

WDW - Gazpacho

008

Cold soup is weird. I mean, I could possibly handle a cold fruit soup (I've never tried one), but a cold tomato soup? No, thanks.

That's how I felt until I tasted my Dad's Gazpacho. Now I'm a believer. Gazpacho is a cold Spanish soup, with a tomato base, with other vegetables added in. Let me tell you, even if you don't think you will like this, you might! Even my sister, who doesn't like tomatoes, gobbled up a bowl of it at my house last week.

It is so easy and fast to make, I've been whipping up a couple batches a week as of late. It's a great way to use up those late summer tomatoes that are still coming off the vine. And, this soup is so light, nutritious, and refreshing, I can't think of a better lunch right now. I top my bowl of Gazpacho with 1/2 diced avocado and fresh chopped cilantro. Mmm.

And, the best thing is...you can get everything you need at Trader Joe's! Gotta love that.

Gazpacho

4 medium tomatoes
1 box Meditteranean cucumbers, peeled and seeded (or 1 large regular cucumber)
1 red bell pepper
3 large cloves garlic. minced
½ red onion (I used Vidalia)
3 cups TJ's Garden Patch juice (or tomato juice)
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. fresh pepper

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, opt.
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp. vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

In blender container, add the following:


2 of the tomatoes, quartered
1/2 of the cucumbers, cubed
1/2 the bell pepper, roughly chopped
the minced garlic
the onion, roughly chopped
1 cup of the Garden Patch juice

Puree and pour into a medium bowl. Chop the remaining tomatoes, cucumber, and bell pepper into very finel dice and add to bowl. Add in remaining 2 cups juice, salt, pepper, cayenne (if using), olive oil, lime juice, and vinegar. Stir until well combined. Chill before serving.

Best made the day before.
Garnish with diced avocado and fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.


post signature

No comments: