Monday, August 31, 2009

Big Things


002

Taken Saturday. The Jeep is covered up and grounded...

Big things are going on. First of all, there's the fires. We are about 5 miles west of the Tujunga Canyon Fire and about 10 miles west of the La Canada/La Crescenta one. Saturday night, I woke in the middle of the night and the whole house smelled like a campfire. No windows were even open, it must have been drawn in by the a/c.

We see the huge smoke clouds by day, but once it is dark, we see the orange flames dancing on the hillside ridges against the black sky. Overall, our air quality is still fairly good, but sometimes the smoke gets really bad and you can't be outside. It is highly unlikely that we will be endangered by these fires, but it is disconcerting to see them so close, and to think of those who are threatened.

When we drove home from church last night, it was pitch dark and the fire looked frightfully close to us. Rich wanted to drive up on a ridge in Shadow Hills to get a good view. It was really eerie. Pitch dark with huge flames jumping hundreds of feet up to the sky. We pray this ends soon. Perhaps the Lord will use this to bring someone to know Him. He is at work!

And other big things are happening, too. Drew started classes at the Master's College today.

This sister was very sad to see her brother move to the Master's College dorms. She doesn't like a quiet house.

026

Tell me, is her chin dimple not just the cutest thing?

Have you ever been so happy and so sad at the same time?

I felt like that on my wedding day.

And when Brady went to heaven.

And that's exactly how I feel right now.

I am so happy...

-that my son has Jesus Christ as his savior and wanted to go to the Master's College. What an amazing place not only for education, but more importantly, spiritual growth. I'm praising God for his amazing opportunity.

-that he is LOVING every minute of it.

-that he is really is capable of taking care of himself and be on his own now (I think).

-that I home-schooled him and maximized our time spent together.

-that he is the kind of person I would even miss. He's a great guy.

-that Rich and I finally have a bathroom all to ourselves. This hasn't been the case in 20 years! Amazing how clean it stays now...

I am so sad ....

-that he isn't here most of the time anymore. It now seems like a privilege to see him.

-that his room is empty. Not too long ago, two rambunctious little boys in bunk beds were told "be quiet and go to bed!" Now it sits ever so still and quiet and I wish for that racket!

-that he isn't kissing me goodnight anymore.

-and mostly, that he is all grown up.

Here's a shot of his new dorm - he's in Waldock. It's so small, it only took about 15 minutes to get him set up! His roommate didn't move in until last Friday because he's a Junior and only the freshmen moved in early for WOW.

030

035

I was about to burst into tears when this photo was taken (hence the fake smile). All the parents were hugging their kids goodbye and taking pictures. It was very emotional.

post signature

2 comments:

Suzanne DeShong said...

I can lend you a few rambunctious boys if you want to relive the memories (:

Hopefull said...

He is always working...