Wednesday, September 2, 2009

WDW - Pulled Pork Sandwiches and sides

blogpicture 020

Ever wonder what to serve company for lunch right after church on Sunday? I mean, you walk in the door just about the same time as your company does, and everyone is hungry! If you have the time on Saturday, you can prepare this delicious meal all in advance, and Sunday will be a breeze.

We had company last Sunday, and with the weather being in the 100's right now, and the fire smoke everywhere, I knew barbecuing would not be preferable. After all, I didn't want to sit down to my meal dripping in sweat. So, I thought it best to utilize my trusty old crock pot. This recipe for pulled pork sandwiches is so easy and always so well-received, so I decided this would be the ticket for our meal. All I do is slow cook pork shoulder or pork butt (could they please call it something else?) with a very simple sauce for about 8 hours. I pull (basically shred) the pork, return it to the sauce, and refrigerate it overnight. When I leave for church, I simply put the crock pot on low, and let it simmer until we get home. All I need to do is put out some rolls, and let guests build their own sandwiches. I serve these with my delicious Barbecue Table Mop (recipe follows), and sometimes some thinly sliced onion.

A great accompaniement to these yummy sandwiches is a good homemade potato salad or coleslaw. I hadn't made my mother-in-law's famous potato salad in awhile, so I decided on that. If I hadn't had the time, I would have made coleslaw - much faster and an equally great side for these sandwiches. Potato salad is one of those labor intensive things, but the payoff is being able to make it in advance and just bring the bowl right to the table and serve. No tossing or anything - it's ready to roll. And, mmm this one is good.

Can I just say I despise ALL potato salads except this one (and my sister's -which is pretty similar). You could not pay me to eat store bought potato salad. It is pretty much the grossest thing on earth. Well, on second thought, maybe macaroni salad is the grossest thing on earth. I just shudder thinking about having to eat either one. That would be like a really, really bad dream.

So....a bit about my mother-in-law, Dottie's potato salad. It is legendary in Rich's family. No Honeybaked ham ever made an appearance on her table without it. It's actually very similar to my grandma's potato salad, which she actually taught me personally how to make over 25 years ago. I used to always make Grandma's until I tasted Dottie's. The two potato salads are just about the same except for a few minor differences. Dottie's calls for radishes and fresh parsley and Grandma's does not. Grandma used to throw in a little vinegar and sugar to hers, which I can't figure out what for, so I omit them. Dottie also used real chopped sweet pickle, while grandma just used prepared pickle relish. I have to say, I like Dottie's more. No offense, Grandma. But just know that no one can touch Grandma's noodle kugel, kasha, chopped liver, or chili. NO one.

Incidentally, my grandma never ate a single bite of her own wonderful potato salad. That is because she hated mayonnaise! And butter. And oil. I know, weird. Really weird. I mean, those fats are my 5th food group! She ate her green salad and her toast DRY. Can you imagine?

Even though potato salad is labor intensive, it actually is really easy - the secret is cooking the potatoes right. I slow simmer them with the skins ON. It takes almost an hour and you have to watch them. As soon as the skins start to crack they are ready. Just cool the potatoes enough to handle them, peel them with a peeler, and dice. I like to mix my salad warm - it seems to incorporate the mayo better.

And, speaking of the mayo - here it comes. This is where I admonish you about not using Best Foods mayonnaise. Listen, you really have to use Best Foods brand mayonnaise for this. I have discussed this before and it's really the bottom line. If you choose to make this with another brand, don't blame me. And for that matter, you better not even call it Dottie's potato salad. Because it's NOT.

Round this meal out with some watermelon and chips - and ice cream for dessert! It's a winner. Enjoy.

***

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

2 ½ - 3 lbs. pork shoulder or pork butt
¾ cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. red wine or cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves minced garlic
½ tsp. liquid smoke, optional
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper

Sandwich rolls

Place roast inside crock pot. Combine all remaining ingredients (except rolls)and pour over meat.Cook on low heat for 8-9 hours. Shred meat (discarding fat and bones) and return to sauce. Serve on sandwich rolls with Barbecue Table Mop.

You can easily double this recipe. The cooking time might need to be lengthened.

***

Barbecue Table Mop

1 cup hickory flavored bottled barbecue sauce
¾ cup ketchup
1/3 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes about 2 cups sauce.

***

Dottie's Potato Salad

8 medium russet potatoes, slow simmered until cooked, peeled and cubed
½ bunch green onions, chopped (white and green part)
½ bunch chopped fresh parsley
4 ribs of celery, chopped
2-3 sweet pickles, chopped
6 radishes, chopped
6 hard boiled eggs
Best Foods mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

In an extra large bowl, combine potatoes, green onions, parsley, celery, pickles, radishes, and 4 of the hard boiled eggs (chop). Add mayonnaise to taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Slice remaining hard boiled eggs and place on top. Sprinkle with paprika. Chill well before serving.Serves 8-10

And just because I'm so nice, here's my coleslaw recipe too:

Coleslaw

Salad:
½ head green cabbage, chopped
½ head purple cabbage, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup green onion, chopped, optional
1 red bell pepper, diced or sliced, optional


handful of fresh cilantro, chopped, optional



Dressing:
1 cup Best Foods mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. celery seed
½ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional

Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing just before serving.




post signature

1 comment:

Kevin and Pam said...

Used your recipes yesterday for the pork and potatoe salad! We invited a family over after church (with 12 kids) and loved the meal! We made homemade ice cream to go with it. Love your recipes! Keep um coming!