Friday, June 19, 2009

Soaking in God's goodness

I love to soak in the sun. Did you know that it is actually good to sit in the sun, unprotected, for 10 -15 minutes each day to soak in necessary Vitamin D? Well, it's true! Each day I try to find 15 minutes or so to sit and read in the sun, or just lay back in a lounge chair, close my eyes, and enjoy the feeling. It's amazing how theraputic it feels! I am a sun lover, warmth lover, and admit that I love to get a little sun-kissed (or more freckly, in my case).

But, I also love to soak in the SON.

Every day I am struck by the reality that it is amazing that God would choose ME, an undeserving sinner, to be His child. He called me, showed me the way of truth through His Word, forgave my sin, and filled my heart with hope and enduring peace and joy. Jesus Christ died for ME. That is not something a Christian can take lightly, so I do strive to keep the reality of this in the forefront of my mind at all times. And, as if that alone isn't enough, God also showers me daily with grace and mercy that is also undeserved. I want to be KEENLY AWARE of His amazing grace in my life at every moment- the grace that saved me and continues to bless me and cause my cup to overflow. I echo the psalmist:

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
~Psalm 23:6

In other words, He is good and kind to me every day, and then I will be with Him in heaven.

What a thought!

Do you soak that in often enough?

I am planning to have a low key summer- by choice. Emma has some school to finish, that will take her through the end of July, and I will gladly use that as an excuse to stay home and say no to excessive activity. We will be home a lot, hopefully enjoying a slow pace that yields plenty of time to read and produce new spiritual fruitfulness and growth. I want to lead a simple, quiet life, enjoying all of God's blessings to me, instead of hurrying out the door and missing them in the busyness. It's been a busy, hectic year, and I desperately crave time to think and reflect on God's goodness and really soak it in.

And, since no post is complete without pictures, here are some of the ways the Lord has been fruitful to me through His creation. Yes, all these beautiful things are growing right here at my home. I plant as many things as I can to enjoy being surrounded by His amazing handiwork. I am thoroughly enchanted by the beauty of His creation, and that He allows even just a little of it to grow around me. Everything is especially healthy and abundant right now, which reminds me in turn of His abundant grace and mercy. Just look around and see all the ways God is blessing you, and offer Him highest praise!


120

Fresh picked sweet and juicy plums, apricots, and nectarines.

119

Sweet cherry tomatoes starting to turn red, ready to pick and just pop in your mouth.

117

Clusters of breathtaking 'Moonstone' roses on the tree...

114

...and clusters of juicy, sweet Meyer lemons, ready to squeeze into ice-cold drinks.

111

One perfectly ripe, warm-from-the-sun strawberry to eat as I walk by.

102

Big, plump tomatoes will be ripe soon....there is nothing like a juicy home-grown tomato.

post signature

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Thanks for this, Karen. A much needed reminder. Can I come and live in your yard? :-)