Wednesday, April 1, 2009

WDW - Lemon Bars

blogpicture 382

I have the most amazing Meyer lemon tree in my backyard. It produces hundreds of lemons almost all year long, and they are the sweetest, juiciest lemons you've ever tasted. We squeeze them into our beverages and I use them in cooking pretty much every day. I couldn't exist with out my dear lemon tree.

One of the things I like to do with the surplus is make lemon bars. I have always had an intense love for these tart-sweet confections, and have had various recipes over the years. They were good, but not great. But then, one day, one glorious day, I tasted these little babies, from my friend Nan Marie, and knew I'd never need a different recipe again. Let's just say, they rock.

The other day Drew decided to whip up a batch to bring over to some friend's house. It was so fun to see him make his way in the kitchen. Thus far his cooking repertoire had consisted of toasted bagels and quesadillas, when he decided to make a recipe like this. I was a little wary of him working it all out, but he assured me that he could handle it. And handle it he did. He just so happened to turn out a better batch of lemon bars than his mother. It was a very humbling proud moment for me. And, I also want to mention that the kitchen was spotless when he was done. I'm liking this boy. Yes, I am. He's a keeper.

Drew's Lemon Bars

Crust:
2 cups flour
½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, melted

Filling:
4 eggs
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. lemon zest
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
1/3 cup whole milk or half and half
1/8 tsp. salt

Powdered sugar, for topping

For the crust, combine flour, powdered sugar and butter.


Press mixture evenly into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

For filling, beat eggs with electric mixer. Add sugar and flour and beat well. Add lemon zest and juice, milk and salt. Beat until smooth. Pour mixture onto hot crust. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake 20-25 minutes, or just until set (do not let brown.) Cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over top and cut into squares.

post signature

No comments: