Thursday, April 9, 2009

DC at night

038

I really enjoy big cities at night. I love walking around after dinner, getting coffee and just taking in the sights. DC is a great place to catch a little night action. Tonight we had dinner at a great place called Zaytinya, which is mid-Eastern mezze (small plates). We enjoyed grilled octupus, two different types of lamb, crispy eggplant, zucchini and cheese patties (fried), some fantastic greek cheese, and fresh hot pita breads dipped in flavorful olive oil. Each person orders about 3 different mezze, and you share the food. It is a unique and fun dining experience. Each dish had a lovely sauce or a wonderful accompaniment, such as a hunk of incredible, gooey honey with the greek cheese. Very creative, very tasty! If you are in the DC area, this is a great place to visit.

023

This shot is not bad for being taken with our little point and shoot!

After dinner, we made our way to the Washington monument, World War II monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. These landmarks have a special quality at night. The weather was so lovely, too - it felt like a warm summer night and the moon was bright and yellow.

Today was another great day for me around town. I started off by taking a tour bus over to Mount Vernon, which is the family home of George Washington. It was a great place to visit, however I'm not sure I went about it in the best way. The bus picked me up at the hotel at 7:10 a.m., and finally arrived at Mount Vernon at 9:15 a.m. Then, there was a line that took 1 1/2 hours just to get into the Mansion...thankfully it was nice weather, but my back was killing from all the standing! By the time I got done in the mansion, there was little time to see the grounds or the wonderful new museum before I had to be back on the bus. Oh well, live and learn. Next time, I would probably rent a car for the day and drive there, taking as much time as I need.

It is kind of funny -I am a bit lost without Rich leading me around like a puppy. Here's a typical "Karen" thing to do when I'm left to myself. On the bus ride out to Mount Vernon, I was kind of dozing off...I would periodically catch bits and pieces of the bus driver's little narrative about all the sights on the way there. Well, when we got there, we exited the bus and got in line to receive our tickets. The bus driver went inside and returned with all our tickets and passed them out. We were then set off on our own to do what we pleased. I was heading up to the mansion when it suddenly dawned on me that I had no idea what time I was supposed to return to the bus. Kind of important, you think? Fortunately, there was a lady walking near me that I recognized from the bus ride, so I asked her. Apparently, the time was discussed while I was, uh, dozing off on the way there. Oops.

After Mount Vernon, and a little lunch at Union Station, I also enjoyed a visit to the American Museum of Art, which also houses the National Portrait Gallery. I mostly spent my time at the Portrait Gallery. It was really fascinating. I tell you, the buildings the Smithsonian museums are in are themselves works of art! The museums here are masterpieces.

Well, after a spectacular day today (65 and sunny with blue skies), tomorrow there is a strong chance of rain. I haven't really planned my day yet, but I know it includes breakfast with Rich, Sushi for dinner, followed by a Good Friday evening service at Mark Dever's church, Capitol Hill Baptist Church. I'll figure out my day after a nice leisurely breakfast... and I'll also plan how to stay dry!

post signature

1 comment:

Jensen Family said...

I really enjoy your traveling posts as well as the food posts. Question?? Why don't you and Rich each weigh 300 pounds?