Tuesday, March 3, 2009

WDW - Easy Enchiladas & Homemade Refried Beans

enchilada on plate

I don’t make many dinner things in 9 x 13 dishes. I’ve never been one for layering ingredients like chicken with cream of mushroom soup (gag!) and peas and weird things like Durkee onions. But, this is one of my few “casseroles” if you will, and I love to make a whole bunch and freeze a few pans. You might as well make a bunch when you do it. The way I look at it, you are making pretty much the same mess whether you make one pan or eight.

Disclaimer! These are not super-authentic Mexican enchiladas – they are more like a gringo like me made them. But, they are absolutely delicious!

You can make these out of chicken or beef. Last weekend I made both types, since we hosted a bunch of folks last night before the Shepherds’ Conference begins. To save myself time, I picked up two roasted chickens and a package of shredded cooked beef from Costco. The shredded beef can be found in the fresh section with the lunchmeat, sausages, etc. And you don't need me to extol the virtues of Costco roasted chickens. I am addicted. Have I ever mentioned the time that they were sold out and I nearly had a heart attack right there in the meat section. Mercy!


shredded beef

This is a handy product!

To begin, dump the shredded meat (beef or chicken) into a large mixing bowl. Dump in a good amount of shredded jack-cheddar cheese, sour cream, and some of your favorite fresh salsa (we like Jack’s from Costco). I used to chop up green onions, garlic, tomatoes, and cilantro until I had a revelation that I could just substitute salsa. Brilliant! But, be sure to use the fresh kind. So, that’s it -mix well. Sorry for not giving exact proportions, but trust me – you can’t mess these up. Especially if you’re a gringo like me. By the way, is gringo a bad word? If someone tells me that it is, I will stop saying it. Anyways, this is what the mixture should look like:

chicken mix

Chicken filling

I use flour tortillas and packaged enchilada sauce mix from Lawry’s. I know, I know… you hear me bagging on packaged foods pretty regularly around here, but I do have my few crutches, OK? I made 5 envelopes of sauce for the amount of filling I had. I pour a little sauce into each pan before I lay the enchiladas in. These are so easy to make. Follow me...

meat in enchilada

folding enchilada

one enchilada in sauce


layered enchiladas

enchiladas sauce

Sorry for the "Chef boy-are-dee" sauce color here. I use point and shoot.

done enchiladas

And there you go. Cover with foil and freeze, or cook right away. Bake covered in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes (be sure to thaw enchiladas before baking if they are frozen).

This made seven 9 x 13 pans. I did myself a favor and used disposable pans. Can I tell you how much I love disposable pans? I buy them at bulk at Costco, if that tells you anything. I suppose it's environmentally irresponsible, but I'm not super-concerned with the environment. I am actually more concerned with how many dishes I have to do. Wait, doesn't using disposable pans save water? Yes, it does! See, I am doing my part to save the world after all.

If you are interested in an enchilada making extravaganza like mine, here's what I used to make my 7 pans of enchiladas:

From Costco: 2 roasted chickens, 1 packaged shredded beef, 1 package (5 lb.) shredded jack-cheddar cheese, 1 container Jack's fresh salsa (I used half), 2 packages tortillas (I used 49 tortillas).

From the grocery store: 1 container (16 oz) sour cream, 5 packages Lawry's enchilada sauce packet mix, 5 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste for the sauce, 2 large cans sliced olives.

And since I’m feeling rather gringo-ish today, I will also share my recipe for homemade refried beans to go with these delicious enchiladas. Super easy- you make them in the crock pot. All you do is simmer them all day, and mix with your boat motor stick blender. If you don’t have one, then you can use a regular hand mixer.

Refried Beans for the crock pot

1 lb. dry pinto beans, rinsed
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ lb. raw bacon, chopped
6 cups water
½ tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours, and then on low for 4 more hours. Use stick blender to puree. Adjust salt if necessary.

Yield: 8-10 servings

Note: May double recipe, but only use 10 cups of water.

post signature

5 comments:

Suzi said...

There is nothing wrong with saying Gringo, we use it around here all the time as Tom is part Mexican and I am very "gringo" lol!

The Mom said...

Yay for the refried bean recipe!!! I've often wondered if I could make them myself...but I wasn't quite ready to try just any recipe I found on the internet. But you I trust... :o)

Thanks!
Terah

Dodson Family said...

oh you are making me hungry!!!!

Mommy Roth said...

Wow thanks for the recipe . It's always fun to try them a different way. And I never knew that Costco had shredded beef...amazing...thanks for the tip. And I grew up with homemade refried beans so I know how good those taste...my mom added bacon fat but I see putting in bacon works just the same.

I always love your recipes and pictures =). I just hate cookbooks that don't put a picture and you must feel the same way!

Oh and before I go I thought I'd ask if you have every tried the Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle from Penzeys. It is my most used product. I add it to pasta, pizza dough, mashed potatoes, butter, sour cream, or just about anything. It has Romano cheese, garlic, pepper, parsley, and basil. Yummy!

Drollingers said...

Hi Karen,

I just have to tell you that you have ministered to me many times in the kitchen. I love your recipes and use them often. I told Deidre but thought I'd tell you directly. Thank you so much. I just made your tortilla soup and it was delicious. I made more for a friend who was just in a car accident and she asked for the recipe. I sent her your blog. Thanks so much. By the way, we just moved up here to Washington (5 months ago)...I saw that you were planning to come up or already came. Hope you had fun. Thanks again. Rachel Drollinger