Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WDW is back!

Now that I'm back in a routine, I feel it is time to return to Way Delicious Wednesdays. Here's a recipe especially for Stephanie (and Sabrina too)!

So I ask, who doesn't like a good homemade meatball? I love to have a bag of them in the freezer. Just pop them out, simmer in some marinara sauce, and serve over pasta or make meatball sandwiches with them. Great weeknight dinner on the fly. And if you ever feed groups of teenagers, you will find yourself going to this recipe time after time for meatball sandwiches. I personally have an intense adversity to jarred spaghetti sauce, but I have to say I really like plain Ragu brand. I also like Trader Joe's marinara sauce - the one in the green can. Neither of these have any bizarre chunks pieces of nutritional vegetables floating around in them; I like my marinara smooth.

So, I whipped up a quadruple batch of meatballs last week for a lunch we served on Sunday to a large group of teens. The day I made them, I was having my carpets cleaned. The guy who was cleaning the carpets turned his machine off to come find out what I was making in the kitchen. They do smell good. I offered him some meatballs, and he wholeheartedly accepted! It was so funny. Here he was, my carpet cleaner, in my kitchen, eating meatballs - kind of awkward!

This recipe is one I developed years ago, and I love it. It's SO easy, and I even mix them up with ease in the KitchenAid. Have I ever extolled the virtues of a KitchenAid before? If you like raw meat all over your hands, go ahead and dig in with your built in mixing tools. I personally don't appreciate meat under my fingernails, so I use the KitchenAid.

Anyways, I don't fry these - I don't like the mess or extra grease. These bake up perfectly in the oven, and you can just dump them into sauce after that, or freeze in a Ziploc for future use. They are also great in lasagna, too!

Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 cup panko bread crumbs or homemade bread crumbs*
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in KitchenAid. Using a light touch, form into 2" meatballs. Bake on greased cookie sheet (I prefer to line my baking sheet with Parchment paper instead) for 20 minutes.

*To make your own breadcrumbs, bake french bread slices (thin) at 400 until dry. Pulverize in food processor. Store in freezer.

Makes approximately 24 meatballs.


1 comment:

David Cleland said...

Hi Karen. Dave Cleland here. I always enjoy reading your posts about Brady and we look forward to WDW. I actually went back through the archives today to look up one from back in September. Erika really likes Emma's photography too. I just thought I'd let you know we're reading.