Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WDW - Oven-baked Favorites

As you read this, I'm in Chicago! I got to tag along on a business trip with Rich. Perhaps as your reading, I'm eating a steak at Morton's of Chicago, or enjoying the view from the Signature Room on the 96th (!) floor of the John Hancock building. I can't wait to taste Chicago deep-dish pizza and go on a culinary walking tour of the city. I'm sure I will inform you of all things food-related when I return! For now, I will leave you with two great recipes where your oven does all the work for you.

These recipes are more stand-bys of mine. One convenient thing about these kinds of recipes is that the ingredients are readily on hand. If you’re like me, apples, potatoes and garlic are always staples. The Roasted Potatoes is a frequent go-to recipe for me that works well for dinner or breakfast. These potatoes are wonderful with any meat, chicken or fish, and the perfect accompaniment to scrambled eggs and bacon. It is another simple yet wonderful recipe from my favorite chef, Giada de Laurentiis. The Scalloped Apples recipe is one I clipped from a magazine many years ago, and is a big family favorite.

For the potatoes, you can use any kind you like. I prefer Red Rose, but Russets work just fine too. This recipe is so easy- you don't even peel the potatoes. The key here is the fresh garlic. Do not try and substitute garlic powder here. Herbes de Provence are also used in this recipe, which I had never heard of until my dad turned me onto it years ago. It has become one of my favorite dry herb blends from
Penzey's -a beautiful French blend of herbs and spices: rosemary, fennel, thyme, oregano, marjoram, basil, lavender and more. I love it and use it so regularly that it sits next to my stove top with my olive oil bottle. If you don’t have herbes de Provence, you can just substitute some rosemary, basil, and thyme. But it is probably found at your grocery store- try and get it- it's really special.

I guarantee that your kids will go crazy for these apples. They basically taste just like pie filling! They are so easy to prepare, you can put one of your younger kids to work making these (well, at least the peeling the apples and mixing it all up, if you don't quite trust them yet with a knife!). I like to use Fuji or Gala apples, but Granny's work well too. I recently served both these recipes with pork chops - the perfect accompaniments for a perfect fall dinner.



Roasted Potatoes
with herbs and garlic

¼ c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. herbes de Provence
3 fresh garlic cloves, chopped

2 lb. potatoes –russet, red, or white – unpeeled and cut into 1”cubes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, herbes de Provence, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick spray. Space potatoes out evenly. Do not clean bowl – set aside.

Roast the potatoes until they are tender and golden, turning them occasionally, about 1 hour. Transfer the roasted potatoes to reserved bowl and toss to coat with remaining oil/spices in bowl (this is a key step). Season potatoes with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6



*******



Scalloped Apple Casserole

9 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/2” thick
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
¼ cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place apples in a large mixing bowl. Toss with lemon juice. Dump in all remaining ingredients and toss with apples. Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 pan; cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove foil last 20 minutes of cooking time.

1 comment:

不結婚可以環球 said...

帳號的設計 要有什麼經驗
發問者: Hokkiao ( 實習生 5 級)
發問時間: 2008-10-07 06:59:19 ( 還有 1 天發問到期 )
解答贈點: 20 ( 共有 0 人贊助 )
回答:
2 意見: 0
[ 檢舉 ]
zycxxcz1234.blogspot.com

方案 : 一ㄍ 【WRETCH】 categorization分類 TRANSFER->一ㄍ [BLOGSPOT] ID帳號








NATIONAL TAIWANUNIVERSITY
IWANNA