Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Way Delicious Wednesdays Return!

I really have no right to post about food right now. Last night, I opened up 3 separate frozen plastic bags for dinner (all from TJ's): Orange Chicken, Stir fried rice, and broccoli. Pretty pathetic, but no one in my family seemed to care, so I got away with it.

One of the things I'm looking forward to most now that I'm back in a routine, is cooking. This was confirmed when I got on the scale a couple of days ago to survey the summer damage. Let's just say, there was damage. This is due, in part, to eating out a bit too much, camping a bit too much (funnel cake and s'mores), and frankly, not enough visits to the gym. Yep, I deserved it.

And, lately my iron has been low, so I'm trying to incorporate more honest-to-goodness meat into my diet. I guess this is a 40-year-old-woman-issue, as several of my friends are dealing with it as well. We're all trying different supplements and switching our diet a bit.

I'm going to try and give platelets again tomorrow for Dan, and by golly I want to be successful this time! I've been taking iron with vitamin C (helps absorbtion) and eating meat like mad! It's kind of funny to be looking for ways to eat meat. Just when you get away from red meat for health reasons, guess what happens to you? Your iron depletes. And just when you start loading up on calcium so you won't get osteoporosis, well, that depletes your iron too. Basically, a healthy high fiber diet rich in fruits and vegetables depletes your iron. Nice. Even SPINACH depletes your iron (it's true). So, I thought I'd share a great steak recipe to raise everyone's iron. If you get a good piece of meat, you will not believe how juicy and good this is for how simple it is to prepare.

It's really fast and easy. All you need is a nice Rib-eye steak, some salt and pepper, and a heavy cast iron skillet. (Well, and a baked potato and some steamed asparagus would also be nice.) I got this recipe from Alton Brown years ago, and my hubby loves it. It's definitely his preferred method of cooking steak. He's going to be more than happy to eat this more often, to help me of course. He's so caring that way.

(Sorry no photo, I'm not making this until tomorrow!)

Pan-Seared Rib Eye

Place 10-12" cast iron skillet in oven and heat to 500 degrees.

When oven reaches 500, remove the pan from oven and place on the range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with EVOO and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.

Immediately place steak in the middle of the hot, dry pan. Do not move. Cook 30 seconds. Flip steak and cook 30 seconds more. Put pan back into hot oven and cook 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook 2 minutes more. Check to see if the steak is done to your liking. A minute or two more may be necessary if you like a little more well done steak. Don't overcook!

Transfer steak to cutting board, top with a little butter if you like and wrap loosely with foil. Let stand 2 minutes. Serve. Enjoy. Reap compliments.

1 comment:

gale said...

Karen - I am so enjoying your blog. Here is a blog that is devoted to food that I just found...perhaps you too will!
http://sgrbearskitchen.blogspot.com/

fondly,

gale light