Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First Day of School - at home

I guess this officially makes me "cool" in my kids' eyes. What more could I want?

You might want to supersize these to read the t-shirts!



I make the distinction at home because we officially began school yesterday with a field trip - to Disneyland! Yes, somehow, Luci Tubbs and I got conned into making the first day of school a trip to the happiest place on earth. Well, maybe conned is too strong a word. OK, we wanted to go as much as the kids did.

Don't tell anyone, but it was the most perfect conditions for Disneyland yesterday - NO crowds, (every ride a walk-on) coupled with mild and sunny 85 degree weather. Gotta love it. I can't for the life of me figure out why people flock to Disneyland during the 100 degree summer along with everyone and their mother, to battle the crowds and wait in long lines for the rides. Yesterday was ideal and a fine way to begin the school year. The teenagers in our group made t-shirts that said "my mom's cool - this is my first day of school!" They were so excited!

So, this morning came and the kids were great. At this point, with the ages my kids are, I never have to fear the first day of school as a rude awakening. Drew had already started a couple of classes at the College of the Canyons two weeks ago, so reality hit him a little sooner (the poor guy had to leave our last summer blast in Carpinteria last week to commute to school a couple of days). Drew was off at 7:30 to school this morning, and after waking Emma up (she had a late night last night) she got right to work today on her three videos. Her science class starts tomorrow and next week she adds E.S.C.A.P.E. theater to the line-up. We are returning to routine...ahh.

So, for me the day signified the return of me to my former job of stay at home mom. Sometimes I forget that is what I am! We had such a busy summer of on-the-run fun. So, I was delighted at the prospect to stay home all day today and a lot more in the future. And then my dad called and invited us to go see Batman in IMAX tonite, and everyone jumped on that except me (I found the movie repulsive and disturbing- don't even get me started). So, I wind up getting the evening to myself as well. I can't remember the last time that happened. Wow. So many possibilities...hmmm I think I'll vacuum.

One last tidbit about this first day of school - today I learned how to install itunes, download music to my computer and onto my ipod! I even learned the playlist feature. I feel like I'm in the 21st century now! This of course is all thanks to Drew who was very patient and showed me how. Then I had great fun buying some of my favorite music - don't laugh now- the Carpenters, Olivia Newton-John, and an assortment of 70's and 80's oldies. This could change my life. I now covet those little itunes gift cards that my kids always get for their birthdays!!

So, as this monumental school year begins (Drew's last year at home), I am enjoying reflecting on the happy homeschooling years we've had. I know some of you out there in the blogosphere are busy homeschooling several elementary school age kids, and the workload is heavy, but let me encourage you that when you look back you will have not wished that you had done anything else. It seems like yesterday that Drew was bringing me "Frog and Toad" books to ask me what certain words were and now he is applying to the Master's College. Emma only has a few more years as well...and let me tell you if I could slow time down I would! I cherish the years homeschooling my kids, and thank God for leading us to it, sustaining me over the years, and just for the amazing opportunity that it has been for our family.

Happy new school year, everyone!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

They go in the summer because they are not cool enough to homeschool. ;) Happy New School Year!

Hopefull said...

Im visiting from Dodson blog...I just HAD to tell you that those were the coolest shirts ever and you are very blessed :)