Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Way Delicious Wednesdays - Garlic Fries

Rich had a craving for garlic fries last Friday night. I was going to make baked potatoes, but I easily switched! They are so simple and fast - you don't even need a deep fryer. Have you ever baked fries in the oven? If you haven't, you should try these sometime. I guarantee your kids will love them!

All you do is slice some large russet potatoes into french fry strips - we like ours on the thin side - a little thicker than In-n-Out. I leave the skins on - it's a good source of fiber and saves prep time. I spread a jelly roll cookie sheet with foil and spray it generously with Pam, drizzle on some olive oil, and then lay the potatoes out single file. I then drizzle on a little more olive oil, and sprinkle generously with kosher salt. I bake them about 30 minutes at 450 degrees. About halfway through, I flip them over. In the end, I broil the tops to crisp them up a bit.

While the potatoes cook, I mix up a little garlic topping. For 3-4 potatoes, I use roughly the following proportions: 4-5 Tbsp. olive oil, 3 cloves minced garlic, and 1 tsp. salt. I like to add a tablespoon or so of chopped fresh parsley to that as well since I have it in the garden - I like the green color on the fries. When the fries are done, all you do is plate them up and spoon the garlic mixture on top. YUM! If you like garlic and fries you have got to try these!!

2 comments:

Dodson Family said...

Karen! I make those all the time. They were on the cover of Cooking Light magazine - imagine that! I put mine in a ziplock - shake them around with some oil - not much. It also called for butter in the garlic mixture - I laugh that it was from Cooking Light!. I make them a lot when people come over - very very very yummy!

Nancy said...

Oooo, I'm definitely going to try these. Thanks for sharing. They look so delish in that picture!