Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Way Delicious Wednesdays - Plum Crisp

Last week it was time to go remove the remaining plums and apples on the trees out front. My sister was here, so we grabbed the ladder and braved the strange green flying beetles to get the last fruit of summer.

We decided to make a plum crisp that night for dessert. I made the topping while Suzanne sliced 8 cups of plums. We had it assembled in under 10 minutes flat.

We baked it and served it warm with some good quality vanilla ice cream.

Little did we know it would be pretty much the best thing we've ever had for dessert.

I gave Suzanne a bag of plums to take home and she promptly made the crisp again. I sliced my remaining plums and froze them ready to be made into crisp. I also took my apples and prepared them for caramel apple pie and froze them. I made my kids the pie when they returned home from camp, and deep in my freezer lies the fruit of two more future pans of plum crisp. What a wonderful feeling.

By the way, for those of you wondering what the difference between cobblers and crisps is anyways, here you go. In fact, here are a few fruit desserts and their definitions, taken from my The Best Recipe cookbook:

Betty: Fruit is combined with buttered bread and cooked. Similar to a crisp, except the crumbs are layered with the fruit instead of placed all on top. Also called a Brown Betty.

Buckle: Fruit is mixed with simple yellow cake mix batter and baked.

Cobbler: Fruit is topped with a crust, which can be made from cookie dough, pie pastry, or biscuit topping, and baked.

Crisp: Fruit is topped with a "rubbed" mixture of butter, sugar, and flour, and baked. Topping often includes nuts or oats.

Crumble: An English term for a crisp, usually made with oats.

Plum Crisp

Filling:

4 cups plum slices (unpeeled)
1 T. flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
½ t. cinnamon

Topping:

½ c. flour
½ c. oats
½ c. brown sugar
1/8 t. salt
¼ c. melted butter

Combine all filling ingredients and spread into a 1 ½ qt. baking dish. Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

*May double recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 pan.

So, before summer fades away, do yourself right with this comforting and absolutely delicious dessert. By the way, it makes a great breakfast, too (don't ask me how I would know this). Hey, it's fruit and oats.



2 comments:

Dave and Suzanne said...

AMEN, sister!!!! This is quite possibly the best dessert (or breakfast,and don't ask me how I would know either) on the entire planet. The tart, the sweet....mmmmm.....I'm starting to drool just thinking about it with some whipped cream on top!

The Mom said...

Hi Mrs. Harasick, I made this today...but I used peaches instead of plums...I loved the addition of vanilla and cinnamon to the fruit! I have some plums in the freezer and haven't been sure what to do with them so I'm going to try that next!

Thank you! Terah