Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesdays...

Well, so much for my “Way back Wednesdays.” The last few times I tried to scan in some old pictures they came out as little as a postage stamp. I can’t tell you how many times I am doing something on the computer when I realize I need major help. Too many to number!

So, let’s switch to “Way delicious Wednesdays.” I’m way better at food than I am at computers anyways.

So today’s offering is a copy cat recipe for one of my current obsessions: Starbucks Blueberry-Oat Bars. Have you ever had one of these babies? If you haven’t, well -I’m just so sorry. What a sad life you lead.

But now you can make them at home! I whipped up a batch today, and they are pretty close to Four-Bucks, uh hum, I mean, Starbucks version. If you keep frozen blueberries around like I do, then you can probably make these right now. So drop everything and do it...you'll be so glad you did.

I ate this right after Emma took the photo. Then I licked the plate.


Almost Starbucks Blueberry-Oat Bars

1 ¾ cups old fashioned oats
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup chopped nuts (I used pecans; walnuts would be nice too)
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup butter, melted

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
3 T. water
2 T. cornstarch
2 t. lemon juice

Combine well first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture. Press remainder onto bottom of 7 x 11 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine blueberries, sugar, and 2 T. of the water in a medium saucepot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until the mixture starts to boil. Boil 1 minute. Combine remaining 1 T. water with cornstarch and lemon juice in a small custard cup. Stir into blueberry mixture and continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.

Spoon blueberry mixture evenly over warm crust. Top evenly with remaining dry mixture, pressing down slightly. Bake an additional 15-18 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.


Now, drive to Starbucks for the latte you’ll need to go with this! :-)


1 comment:

Dave and Suzanne said...

Those look divine.....I just love blueberry anything.....