Monday, June 23, 2008

The appliance curse


I don’t know what it is about me and appliances. Recently, I blogged about my washing machine being on its way out at the ripe old age of 4. And, now, the latest casualty is our kitchen refrigerator. It was almost 5 years old when it died last Friday evening. Now, I say that it died, but it really could just be in need of a $5 part. I’ll never know. We decided that we would not call in an expert in this time because we know the routine:

1. Call the appliance repairman to get an appointment.


2. Wait 3 or 4 days for the earliest appointment.


3. Drop everything and stay home an entire day waiting for the repairman who has said he’ll be there “between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.” (which involves penning the dogs all day and leaving the electric gate open).


4. At 5:59 p.m., the repairman arrives.


5. He spends about 3 minutes looking at the appliance.


6. He gives me a quote for repair and the price is about the same as the purchase price of the item (if not more).


7. I tell him not to repair the appliance.


8. He charges me $75 for his helpful information.


9. I go and buy a new appliance.

So, we just decided to cut out steps 1-8 this time. Much simpler. The end result is always the same so why aggravate yourself. My sweet and understanding husband took me over to Lowe’s at the first possibly opportunity to get a new one and he even let me pick it out. Happy wife indeed.

So, the refrigerator arrives this morning. It doesn’t fit. That’s right, it’s ¼” too tall. UGH. Rich measured and remeasured the floor model at the store, but it still didn't fit. I just think that when my house was built in 1937 that nobody could have imagined such monster refrigerators and made the openings too small. So, I’m on the phone with Rich and he’s saying “it will fit" and the delivery man in my kitchen is saying, “no, it doesn’t.” I'm in the middle wondering what to do. So, I tell the delivery man to leave the refrigerator in my breakfast nook and my husband will make it fit when he gets home, thank you.

So, Rich is spending his evening cutting down the cabinet above to squeeze this baby in.

But, I am truly thankful. On Thursday and Friday, I purchased close to $800 worth of perishable food for Kiara Tyler’s memorial service Saturday. I put it all in the garage refrigerator (which I’d like to point out is a cheaper and older refrigerator than the inside one, and I bought it used). All I lost in the house were some breads and not more than $40 worth of misc. groceries. It would have been devastating to have lost all that food outside. So I am thankful that it was the inside fridge that died, and not the outside one!

I am also thankful that we were able to get a replacement so quickly. I am thankful for my husband who is working diligently to get it taken care of right now, even though he probably had other plans for this evening. And, I am indeed thankful for Lowe’s next day free delivery!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Of course, you could just put your fridge in the dining room! :-)

I hope your wonderful husband got it to fit!

Karen said...

The dining room?? WHO would ever do a thing like that?? :-)

The good news is, it fit.