Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Farmer's Market & Friendship


Here is one of my dear friends, Jocelyn Devaney, today at the Farmer's Market in Santa Monica. Jocelyn's kids, David and Hannah, are the same ages as mine, and all of the kids being at high school camp this week prompted us lonely moms to spend the day together. I told Jocelyn I had always wanted to visit the big Farmer's Market and she kindly obliged by accompanying me. It was a really fun day as we browsed at all the lovely fruits and vegetables, checked out the 3rd Street Promenade, shared some sushi for lunch, and sat on a park bench to view the ocean and pier. The weather was beautiful and the conversation was ever flowing. Jocelyn and I have been friends for many years and I really enjoyed the chance to spend the day with her.

What makes this Farmer's Market special is that it is one of the largest in the nation. Many of the local chefs shop here each Wednesday morning for their restaurants. I was hoping to see Giada de Laurentiis, but no luck. We strolled by many booths of juicy peaches and plums, giant artichokes, fresh greens, white raspberries, and much more, often stopping to get a taste of juicy ripe fruit. I purchased strawberries, white corn, golden and red beets, fennel, some wonderful Santa Rosa-type plums (which I ate on the spot), and a fragrant bouquet of white succulent flowers. I was surprised to find the prices very reasonable. I was thinking how much fun it would be to have a Farmer's Market like this to shop at all the time. You could stroll through, picking up the freshest vegetables available whenever you needed them. Ahh...how nice that would be!
I really loved the experience - it was so fun to enjoy all the many varieties of produce and chat all the way with a cherished friend. A truly lovely day indeed.


No comments: