Monday, January 29, 2007

My Favorite Restaurant

While on the subject of food, I thought I'd share about my favorite restaurant here in L.A. I thought long and hard about sharing this little secret, but I can't keep it to myself. There are certainly a lot of restaurants here in L.A. and I'll admit, I don't frequent any big name places. I found this place on the internet one day when Rich wanted to try somewhere new for dinner. When we walked in, we knew we had found a gem. Since we found it around 5 years ago, it's really kind of like our special little place.

The restaurant is called Off Vine, and is located "off Vine" on a small sidestreet, Leland Avenue, in Hollywood. I'm not a big Hollywood fan or anything like that, but I do enjoy the nostalgia of the city on the ride there. It's the ideal place to go if you have tickets to a show at the Pantages. In fact, when you sit down, the waiter will ask you, "theater?" which means they will pay careful attention to the time you need to leave to make your show if you are going. It's such a dud when you have to answer "no" which is most of the time for us. However, in April for my birthday we are going to see "Wicked" and I can't wait to answer "yes! theater!!" You can leave your car at Off Vine and walk to the Pantages, if you don't mind walking down the street in Hollywood!

The unique thing about Off Vine is that it is located in a old Craftsman Style home, which sat vacant for years before being turned into this charming restaurant. It is a two story, shabby/elegant kind of place, with a neat front porch . Parts of it are downright run down but it all adds to the charm (like the upstairs bathroom with the creepy tub and shower curtain). The interior is small and quaint, with funky turquoise decor. It is usually dimly lit with candlelight and on cool nights they have the fireplace going. They decorate for Christmas and it's extra charming. They have impeccable service and delicious "California comfort" food. My favorite is the Chicken Marsala and Rich usually gets a steak. The menu is very creative and changes often, and you can't go wrong with their fish specials. You don't want to miss the chocolate souffle for dessert (order when you order dinner). I think it's very reasonablly priced for what you get(dinner for two is around $50-60). It's the perfect setting for an intimate dinner, whether with your spouse or dear friends or family. They also do a fabulous weekend brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. One thing to know is that you must always have a reservation to get in.

I hope you get a chance to enjoy it!

















1 comment:

Dave and Suzanne said...

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that this is a wonderful place to eat. Dave and I like eating here, because I think it is a romantic place to go! Make sure you have the calamari, it is the BEST in the world! And the pecan crusted chicken with pear sauce is to die for!