Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Bridal Showers and Cold Brewed Coffee


I was honored to throw a bridal shower last Saturday for Emma's best friend, and my 2nd daughter, Kaitlyn.
Emma and Kait have been besties since 2nd grade!   Now Kait is getting married, and it was such fun to shower her!

I knew an August shower would call for being indoors and sure enough, it was 105 degrees on that day!  Rich and I moved all the furniture out of our family room and set up 5 rectangle tables, plus another one in the living room to accomodate the 48 guests.

I served brunch and kept it very simple.   I made an egg dish, which I fondly call "egg puff."  I'll put the recipe below-- it's one of those "tried and true" ones.  It's so easy to throw together, too. 

I served two salads - one was an arugula salad containing cantaloupe, prosciutto, peas, thin red onion slices, and diced fresh mozzarella.  It was dressed with a sweet balsamic dressing.
The other salad was made with watermelon & tomato.  I know - weird combo - but it was delicious.  On a big white serving plate, watermelon & tomato chunks (all from my garden!) were layered and topped with crumbled feta cheese (TJ's in water is my favorite).  A lovely herb vinaigrette was poured over all --made with fresh garden herbs (tarragon, basil, mint, parsley, and chives), lemon juice, & olive oil.  

Lastly, there was a fruit platter, the bride's favorite Krispy Kreme donuts, and homemade zucchini bread (that's what you make when you have a ton of zucchini!).

Bummer, I was too busy to snap photos of the food... oh well.  I was grateful Emma walked around and took photos for me of the set up.

I used herbs from my garden and some white flowers from TJ's for the table.  I am obsessed with the colored mason jars... I used the purple ones here.   I made lavender scented candles for favors to go with the earthy theme.  Tablecloths were simply painters drop cloths! I love how they look like linen.

 



 Untitled

I tried something I haven't done before -- a cold brew coffee bar.  I made up a bunch of cold brew coffee (recipe below) and served it with vanilla & caramel syrups (Torani) and a plain organic sugar syrup (homemade).  I put out ice, whole milk, half & half, and almond milk.  I also offered a cold chai tea concentrate (from TJ's) for tea drinkers, and hot coffee for those who would drink it on such a hot day! Guests could fix their own personal favorite.  

Here is the set up before everything went in (again, I was too busy to take a photo of it).    I made signs for the ingredients and used this packet of letters for signs all around.  I like to utilize this hutch in my dining room as a beverage station.  The shelves are a great place for the cups.  The hot coffee is on a small adjacent table as it was kind of tight to fit everything!

Untitled

Untitled


Untitled
 
 I love this photo of us with our girls!  When they were growing up, Kathy and I got them together often and we made a fun foursome.  Now we have added baby Darsy!
I'm not sure why she is naked... but isn't she so yummy? 



Untitled

I sure adore my baby girl!


Egg Puff
serves 10-12
Ingredients
·         10 eggs
·         1/2 cup flour
·         1 tsp baking powder
·         1/2 tsp salt
·         1 pint (16oz.) small curd cottage cheese
·         3/4 lb jack cheese, shredded
·         1/4 cup butter, melted
·         1-2 cans (4 oz cans) diced green chilies, drained
Directions
1.      Beat eggs until light and lemon colored. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cottage cheese, jack cheese and melted butter, blending smoothly. Stir in the chilies. 
2.      Pour mixture into a well-buttered 9×13 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or center appears firm. 
3.      Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.


Cold Brew Coffee

In a large jar, mix 1 cup medium ground coffee (I used an organic French roast from Costco) with 4 1/2 cups cold filtered water.  Refrigerate 12 hours, then strain with a cheese cloth.  




post signature

1 comment:

Carol B. said...

You are such a fabulous host. Love all the details. Who would have guessed that painter's cloths would look so great? Also-I love your polka dotted plates (on your hutch) and the bottles for the different types of milk. DIY coffee bars are popular up here. Can you imagine?