Thursday, June 7, 2012

Foods I love: Sprouted Bread

Untitled

I'm glad many of you liked my posts on healthy eating.  In part 3, I listed in general many of the foods we like to eat, and I thought I'd begin to highlight some of my personal favorite foods and products.  Today I want to highlight sprouted bread. 

First of all, I don't make much homemade bread.   The reason being, we don't really eat a lot (we eat toast and my boys eat sandwiches some weekdays; I only use up a loaf about every other week).  I never serve bread with dinner unless we have guests - when I do, I use this method). 

Secondly, I don't have a grain mill.  Most pre-ground flours you buy (even whole wheat and other grains) lose much of their vitality soon after milling (and go rancid rather quickly due to the oils in them). By the time you buy them, they are not even close to being as nutritional as home milled grain.    If you do grind your own grains for bread, you should be mindful of soaking or sprouting them first.  For more information, read here and here.   I just noticed the sprouted grains bins at Whole Foods the other day. With the offering of some healthier options now, and the fact that we don't go through as much, I find it convenient to buy my bread.  


Bread made with sprouted grains is exceptionally nutritional, as the process not only increases the vitamin content, but it neutralizes phytic acid (a substance present in grains that inhibits the absorption of nutrients).  More on this.

Here's one of my favorites, Food for Life Sprouted Grain Bread.  You may be familiar with this company's Ezekiel bread at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Sprouts.  I like this particular one that they make, as it is free of soybeans.  Here are the ingredients for this bread:

Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Rye, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Oats, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Kernel Corn, Organic Sprouted Whole Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

Love those ingredients! 

This bread is best toasted.  I like it with almond butter and raw honey for breakfast, or with avocado and tomatoes (open face) or other veggies piled on for lunch.   I keep the bread in the freezer for freshness, and just put frozen slices directly into the toaster.

post signature

2 comments:

Mommy Roth said...

I just saw some at Costco too! I plunged in and got another bag of quinoa while I was there too :).

Michelle said...

Love! I have two loaves in my freezer right now :)