Saturday, December 10, 2011

Make your own See's Bordeaux

BORD


I think See's candy is the best. I've tasted Godiva, and a host of other contenders, but I have never tasted anything that I like better than See's. Maybe it's because I grew up on it, I don't know - but it's really special.

If you haven't been in a See's store, you haven't lived. It is just a great experience. The intense chocolate aroma. The pristine, almost sterile environment. The neatly stacked white boxes. The ladies (only women work at See's) in their starched white dresses that haven't changed since 1811. And of course, the free samples. YES, they still give free samples. And, P.S. did you know you can request what you would LIKE for your free sample? Contrary to popular belief, you are not bound to "the sample candy of the day" that the lady offers you. Just ask nicely, they'll give you whatever your heart desires.

Did that info just change your life?? It changed mine when I discovered it.

Anyways, See's rocks.

I love many things there. Rich loves their raspberry creams, but I'm partial to their Bordeaux bon bons. Whenever I get an assortment box, I go right for the Bordeaux. Mmm, they have such a yummy brown sugar buttercream center - they're the best!

I recently came across this "copycat" recipe for Bordeaux, and decided to give it a try. They couldn't have been easier - simple ingredients and method. Though the chocolate coating doesn't taste exactly like See's - it's about as close as you're going to get. You can use either milk or dark chocolate. See's makes both kinds. I used dark but I think I'll try milk next time, for a softer shell.

I was really impressed when I took my first bite. Rich tasted one and said "well, that works." These would be the perfect little holiday gift or addition to a cookie platter, or for any occasion, really. See's makes theirs with fine chocolate jimmies (sprinkles), but I made mine holiday festive with red and green. And as you can see, mine look nothing like See's but they taste very similar.


photo (3)

The funny thing about finding this recipe this week, is that my sister also found the exact same recipe recently and posted that she was about to try it on her blog!! How funny is that? One time, several years ago, we both bought a KitchenAid mixer - same model and color - on the same day from the same merchant, unbeknownst to the other. We had both wanted one for years too- how crazy is that?

BORDEAUX CANDY
from Taste of Home

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp instant coffee
pinch salt
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
12 oz dark or milk chocolate

Melt butter and brown sugar together in heavy pan. Bring to boil and boil for two minutes. Stir in cream, coffee, salt and bring to boil again. Stir constantly. Boil for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Let cool for 10 minutes. Add sifted powdered sugar to mixture. Stir in well. Chill until mixture holds shape of a small ball. Roll into 2-inch balls. Melt chocolate according to pkg instructions. Dip candy balls into melted chocolate. Sprinkle with cake sprinkles, if desired. Makes approx. 30 bon bons.

post signature

7 comments:

SSS said...

See's are my mommy's faaaaavorite candies. I don't think she discriminates against any particular kind. I will definitely try making these. Thanks for a recipe!

Pur et Simple said...

See's so ROCKS! For Easter my mom used to give me the bordeaux eggs...they are to die for!

Ben and Melissa James said...

I made these the other day with a friend (we had a baking day) and they are delicious! I had to put them in the freezer because I feared that I would eat them all! Thank you for this yummy recipe!

The Mom said...

ohhhhhhhh, See's is so very yummy! I am now extremely picky with my chocolate and See's is almost the only one on the list and always at the top. Some day, when I'm walking and not running through my days, I will make these!!! :o)

Loni said...

This may be a dumb question, but just to clarify, do you use made instant coffee (liquid form) or just the grounds?

the e-wife, Karen said...

Hi Loni, sorry for the confusion. :-) I use instant coffee crystals from a jar.

loginhere101 said...

I am so excited to make these. As much as I love Sees, they are way to expensive to be able to enjoy the chocolates on a regular basis. Thank you for posting!!