Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My dad got married!

Dad & Mili

My devoted mother passed away almost 6 years ago, at the young age of 63, and my dad has found love again! This is Mili (a nickname for Mildred), and she is actually a friend of both my parents from long ago. She was in my mom's 2nd grade class and Girl Scout troop, and went to high school with my dad. My dad and her even signed each other's yearbooks - sentiments that are quite cute looking back. Anyways, they were each married more than 40 years to their respective spouses, my dad losing my mom suddenly to a heart problem 6 years ago, and Mili's losing her husband Ron, 2 years ago to cancer. Each have enjoyed children and grandchildren and lives that never intersected until about 6 or 7 so years ago, when Mili met my uncle at a voting poll in her neighborhood of Huntington Beach. She recognized the name Vida, and gave my uncle her telephone number to give to my folks. My parents actually ended up meeting with Mili and Ron and caught up on the years. Mili came to my mom's memorial service, and a few years later, she let my dad know about Ron's passing. Then, a few months ago, my dad suggested in just a friendly way that they might plan a time to meet for coffee, and as they say, the rest is history. They were married in a private ceremony yesterday in Catalina. My sister and I have the joy of throwing them a big 50's style reception at our home at the end of September.

Meeting Mili was like meeting someone who has known and loved you your whole life. We connected right away. She began by filling us in on her life story, showing us many family photos. She loves my dad dearly and that makes me very happy. He was widowed too young, and had a lot of love left to give, and so does she. I am happy that he won't have to be lonely anymore. I truly thank God for her, she will be a blessing. As she said to me recently, "I love you so much already!" And I feel the same.

post signature

5 comments:

Miller Family said...

Very touching! Congrats to your Dad and Mili!

Carly Jean Brannon said...

What a sweet story!

Anonymous said...

so very happy for you and your dad!-Missy

Slave of Christ said...

Happy for your family, Karen.

Nancy Berger said...

Hi Karen,
I just happened to open your blog site and am SO happy to see that your dad has found love again. I remember your dad as such a fun, warm and giving man and I'm sure he and Mili will share a wonderful life together. She sounds absolutely lovely! I love their story that goes back so many years. Congratulations to both of them! I hope you and your family are doing well.
Much love,
Nancy Berger