Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Great Summer Read


I purposed a little down time after a busy April/May/first part of June. We skipped the Resolved conference, I took a break from Master's Kids, and didn't put any plans on the calendar. Sometimes, after a busy season, it's just nice to just do the necessary - the cleaning, very simple cooking, and the minimal errands needed to keep things going. No projects, no planning, no preparing for anything. It's been a really nice few weeks to just breathe and enjoy summer.

I thought some reading would be nice. I asked my friend Janet S. for some summer reading recommendations, which she kindly provided! I then promptly went to the local public library's website and put all the books she listed all on reserve. In a week or so, they were in, and I had a stack of five cool books to read. On more than one occasion recently, I have put on my swimsuit, poured myself a tall glass of Good Earth Iced Tea, and sat by the pool to read. It's been really refreshing and relaxing. I hardly ever do that - especially with a (gasp!) fiction book. Well, it was really sort of historical fiction, and I found it to have great value even though it wasn't spiritual in nature.

The first book I started with was Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by author Jamie Ford. Let me just say, I was captivated by this book from the very first page! I became so wrapped up in the story that I found myself dreading the book to end. I don't want to give anything away, but it was basically the story of an older Chinese man named Henry looking back on his life in Seattle in the 1940's during WW2 when Japanese Americans were rounded up and placed in internment camps. When Henry was in grade school, he had a special friend, Keiko, who was Japanese, and it is the story of how Henry dealt with his nationalistic parents who didn't like the Japanese and this friendship with Keiko that he valued more than anything. Also, it is the story of how Henry as an older man must bridge the gap between him and his modern Chinese American son. The story will warm and break your heart all at the same time. It was so well written - I highly recommend it.


I'm on to read the Help now, thanks Janet for your wonderful recommendations!!


post signature

2 comments:

Miller Family said...

Sounds like to of my favorites- Iced tea and historical fiction! :)

Jessica said...

my book list is getting a little long, but once i'm done the help, i'm going to the library and checking this out. i love hearing about good books to read! thank you.